Outdoor Module Battery Consumption

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Naruto01

Outdoor Module Battery Consumption

Post by Naruto01 »

Hi,

I’ve recently moved to Australia from the UK, since setting up the station the battery consumption in the outdoor unit has been extremely high. I’m currently replacing the AAA batteries roughly every 3-4 weeks!

Can anyone suggest the issue or what I might do. It’s just over a year old, not sure whether the higher temperatures have an effect on the consumption or if there is another issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
mr.maximas

Re: Outdoor Module Battery Consumption

Post by mr.maximas »

Same problem. I bought my Netatmo some years ago, it's work very good but now the batteries to drain in a week. I disassembled the module, no signs of damage or corrosion.
Outdoor module # h199bc0
Support does not answer.
What to do?
Thanks.
Attachments
5E09758A-CC53-47FE-AD23-A5C602C25BC1_1_201_a.jpeg
5E09758A-CC53-47FE-AD23-A5C602C25BC1_1_201_a.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 2447 times
69587A79-97AF-436A-B8BD-7807521BADEA_1_201_a.jpeg
69587A79-97AF-436A-B8BD-7807521BADEA_1_201_a.jpeg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2447 times
edinburgh_lad

Post by edinburgh_lad »

Naruto01 wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 14:46 Hi,

I’ve recently moved to Australia from the UK, since setting up the station the battery consumption in the outdoor unit has been extremely high. I’m currently replacing the AAA batteries roughly every 3-4 weeks!

Can anyone suggest the issue or what I might do. It’s just over a year old, not sure whether the higher temperatures have an effect on the consumption or if there is another issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
This is a well known problem on Netatmo outdoor modules. You'll find a number of posts on the Internet about that.

It seems to me that moisture can get into the module (for example, when you're changing batteries on a cold day), this damaging the components.

I've had one station replaced by Amazon and on the second one, I changed batteries on a cold day (cold air condensation) and now the module lasts just under a year (previously 2 years).

The only option for you is to contact the seller and get the module replaced under warranty.

Netatmo has failed to acknowledge the above problem and because of this kind of customer service, I've not recommended them to anyone, I'm afraid. Neither will I be buying more modules to add to the situation (I'd have done so if they had simply done some something about the problem/issue, but they blatantly and persistently deny its existence; even if it was a replacement product at a discounted price or something)
hasun

Post by hasun »

I have the same experience on two outdoor modules. The power consumption has increased dramatically. With new modules and batteries they last for more than six month but after a few years batteries need to be changed every month.
In total I have six different Netatmo modules giving high quality data.
Netatmo support need to respond to this matter!
Hulstenaar

Post by Hulstenaar »

After 1 year my outdoor module is draining new batteries in 1 day. I have still at least 1 year warranty. This is the respons from Netatmo Service Engineer. He must be thinking I am running my own repair shop. This is ridiculous.

Please take a picture from a distance of the usual module location, showing its surroundings.
Please also take a picture of the battery compartment of the module and then follow the instructions below:
  • First, check that there is no element blocking the module's vents (such as dirt or spider webs).
    Take out the batteries and place the unit inside an airtight container with a natural dehumidifier such as rice for 48h, to absorb the humidity.
    Then, with a q-tip clean the battery compartment of the outdoor unit. Please don't use any liquid as this could damage the module.
    Clean the metal part in the battery cover.
    Insert brand new batteries.
    Close the battery compartment (No need to tighten the screws) and look at the bottom of the unit, can you see the green led blinking? If not, take out the cover, wait 40 seconds and repeat this step.
    If you see the green light; tighten the screws, and place the module next to the station until it connects again.
Please note that the picture is mandatory for me to fully evaluate your case and find the best solution.
Hulstenaar

Post by Hulstenaar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDTluXV4tRU

The contacts in my own module are looking brand new. No sign of corrosion at all.

Netatmo service engineer is not responding to my calls anymore.

What is so difficult in giving a customer his right of warranty and solve his problem?

I am seeking legal advice. This behaviour is ridiculous.

Anybody from Netatmo here on this board?

P.S. In the meantime Netatmo has replaced the malfunctioning Outdoor Module. Case closed.
Last edited by Hulstenaar on 22 Aug 2021, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
hasun

Post by hasun »

It will be most appreciated with a clear response from Netatmo.
I can not figure out any reason how the user may have caused the problem.

What is the reason to the large and sudden current consumption increase?
How can this be solved? By Netatmo.
How soon will this issue be solved?
Large battery consumption is not environmentally friendly in the long run!
MGR1

Post by MGR1 »

I have the same issue. The PCB inside the module is completely clean and looks like new. I read somewhere that there is a tiny 1 microfarad capacitor that fails, and it is not trivial to change it due to its small size. Unfortunately I don't know which one, otherwise I might give it a try. Netatmo denies the issue since this is a hardware error, perhaps due to the use of cheap components. If they acknowledge it they might be flooded with returns of defective modules. Better ignore it and hope it goes away.
hasun

Post by hasun »

Very interesting with a bad capacitor. This may be the reason for high leakage current. I would like to know more about which capacitor that might be failing. A PCB-layout drawing with component description is much appreciated. Can anyone present this?
A failing capacitor is more probable than many other suggestions I heard of.

Netatmo: Please help us to solve the issue!
maciii

Post by maciii »

I have exactly same issue. Battery drain is now high, I have to change batteries every 4-6 weeks ;-(

Return to “General questions”