Where does Netatmo get their forecast info?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Una Real

Where does Netatmo get their forecast info?

Post by Una Real » 15 Mar 2013, 11:34

For my location the Netatmo weather forecast data is wildly inaccurate. But I haven't read any comments here from anyone else about this. So I'm curious to know if anyone had noticed the same thing?

I read that Netatmo gets their forecast data from the MeteoGroup, so I got their WeatherPro apps to compare. And the weather forecast data on the Netatmo is very different (in every category) than the MeteoGroup's data for my exact location. That even includes the current weather icon. Yet the MeteoGroup's forecast info is pretty much spot on. So I'm wondering where Netatmo is actually getting their forecast data?

Am also curious to know exactly what "Forecast improvements" were introduced after version 1.0.2 because I haven't seen any improvements at all.

Netatmo

Re: Where does Netatmo get their forecast info?

Post by Netatmo » 15 Mar 2013, 13:21

Mine shows exactly the same information like weatherPro, which is indeed pretty accurate!
Did you adjust the location of your station in your account?

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 15 Mar 2013, 14:09

Yes, locations are exactly the same for both Netatmo station and WeatherPro.

I've been an IT professional for over 20 years and know how to carefully troubleshoot. Not only are the locations the same, but I also make sure the times for the data updates match.

Maybe it's because I'm located in the US and there are only glitches here. Anyway, I find it hard to believe no one else is apparently experiencing this. Or maybe others just don't pay close attention to the weather forecast data on the Netatmo. I have to confess to being a weather enthusiast. So I do.

Of course, I could just use my MeteoGroup apps instead. But the convenience of having it all on the Netatmo was really attractive to me. No need to launch another app for just a quick forecast update. Unfortunately, Netatmo isn't delivering on one of their claimed features. At least, for me.

Zonehightech

Post by Zonehightech » 17 Mar 2013, 10:38

Hi,
In my case, the forecast info are almost identical in WeatherPro and Netatmo. Same temperatures, same Wind, same UV. Just a problem with the rain : 11,1mm for Netatmo and 18,9mm with WeatherPro. It's a big difference, but why just for that ?
I am in the SW of France.

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 17 Mar 2013, 11:17

A bit more detail about my differences between Netatmo and WeatherPro:

• Temperatures can be off by as much as 5º or more.
• The Current Weather icon is almost always different - sometimes laughably so.
• Wind can be fairly close for days 1 and 2, but will always read zero for days 3-7 - no matter how windy the MeteoGroup's app shows it for those days.
• Precipitation - mostly no logical correlation at all.
• Hours of Sunshine - mostly no logical correlation at all.
• UV - most accurate of all - usually matches or within a point.

Parsing this data must be a lot harder than one would think.
Last edited by Una Real on 19 Mar 2013, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

Zonehightech

Post by Zonehightech » 17 Mar 2013, 11:47

Ahhh... Weather !! :) Is a very special science !!
I know that MeteoGroup updates very often their data, every hour or so. I don't know if it's the same on Netatmo.
Have you a Premium subscription with WeatherPro ?
Since my last post, the rain data have been updated on WeatherPro and now are the same that Netatmo.
But for the forecast for the next days, it's another story...

Una Real

Post by Una Real » 17 Mar 2013, 12:03

Hi Zonehightech - Yes, I have the WeatherPro Premium subscription. It doesn't really matter when I compare the Netatmo to WeatherPro - they are always different. I wish I could get back the time I've spent doing so. As much as I've tried just ignoring the Netatmo's current weather icon and forecast data, it's always there and so hard to ignore. Kind of like how one can't help looking at a car wreck, which seems an appropriate analogy. :D

And you are so right about weather being a "very special science." In fact, the WeatherPro apps don't do a very good job with wind for my area. And they don't do well with a phenomenon known as "cold air damning" in my locale for winter precipitation types. But the European models are vastly better than the older American models, so WeatherPro is pretty accurate overall compared to our NWS forecasts - especially for long range forecasting.

Return to “General questions”