Single Station connected to multiple Thermostat

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
aimonx85

Single Station connected to multiple Thermostat

Post by aimonx85 » 12 Jun 2020, 15:30

Hello,
I have 3 different thermostats in the same building. Each of them should be independent and they were configured as separate houses inside Netatmo portal.

When I bought the weather station I was able to use its data inside every thermostat, but now I am unable to do the same.
Customer support said that you
had to change that behavior for security reasons and now I should have the three thermostat inside the same house (not suitable in my case) or buy two more weather stations (this is a no sense, since it is the same building).
Is it true? Is there any workaround?

This change makes the weather station useless for my use case.

Thank you!

GEORGzer

Re: Single Station connected to multiple Thermostat

Post by GEORGzer » 12 Jun 2020, 15:51

Well to operate the 3 Thermostats independently, you have to configure them as different „houses“, as you correctly did.
The data of the Weather Station can only be fetched from a Thermostat in the same „household“ and you can assign the Weather Station only to one „household“ at the time.

So yes, to use 3 Independent Thermostat setups with Weather Station data, you need one for each Thermostat.

But I personally would question if it really makes much difference. If no Weather Station is available, data from a local weather service is used.
In your case I would compare the behavior of the three Thermostats first.
Home:Weather Station (V3 + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules), Valves Starter Pack + 5 additional Valves, Smart Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smart Smoke Alarm

Not a Netatmo employee

aimonx85

Post by aimonx85 » 14 Jun 2020, 00:14

The point is: when I bought the Weather station I was able to use it as a source of the three thermostats, now I can't.

I'm a software engineer, and I can't understand why Netatmo changed this behavior. Basically the weather station is useless at the moment and I'm not happy at all since the specs changed after I bought it!

It's not about "compare the behavior of the three Thermostats first", it's about Netatmo changing the specs of my product after I've spent money on it. Instead of fixing their security problem, Netatmo choose to go down the "cheap way" and that's not a good thing for a company that is selling home security products.

I'm really disappointed! I supported Netatmo since the beginning and I was planning to buy the security camera and home security sensors but at this point I don't think it's a good idea

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 14 Jun 2020, 01:42

Have you tried putting the 3 Thermostats in 3 different „rooms“ of the same „house“ in the software, like you would with their Valves instead of 3 different „houses“?.
You would have to set up a combined schedule for that, tho.

The issue here is the introduction of „houses“ and the recent addition of the Weather Station to this feature.
In their mind, you always have only one Thermostat for your boiler and that’s it. They don‘t take jerry-rigging them to other sources into account, sadly.
Home:Weather Station (V3 + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules), Valves Starter Pack + 5 additional Valves, Smart Video Doorbell

Not a Netatmo employee

aimonx85

Post by aimonx85 » 14 Jun 2020, 15:02

I would like to test that kind of setup but customer support told me that I will lost all the collected data. Do you know if there is a way to avoid that?

BTW, I'm not sure this will work for me: for example one of the three thermostat is often in the "away" status, and I will be unable to do the same if I put them in the same house.

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 14 Jun 2020, 15:31

The "away" status can only be applied to the whole "house".

Also you're right, changing houses currently leads to a reset with losing history-data.
Other users faced the same with another issue: https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18159

I'm afraid there is no option for you to use your Weather Station data on all Thermostats at the moment, without these limitations.

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “General questions”