Anemometer stops sending data periodically

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
WattonSouth

Anemometer stops sending data periodically

Post by WattonSouth »

Hi my smart Anemometer periodically stops sending data. It is exactly the same distance from the base station as my rain gauge, and shows 100% battery and 4/5 bar signal strength. As far as I can see it is still connected but has given up sending wind data. Removing the batteries and re-inserting them fixes the issue. This happens every couple of weeks. The firmware version is 25. Firmware for the base station is 181.

Any suggestions? Should I return for replacement? Is there a way of remote resetting or getting diagnostics?

Kind regards,
Keith
JohnM

Re: Anemometer stops sending data periodically

Post by JohnM »

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue since a couple of days. The weird thing is that it is mostly on the same time slot each day (which you can check when viewing the graphs with historical data): 09:30 - 21:30. During that timeframe the anemometer is still available in the app but the icon does not present an actual winddirection and only old wind speeds.

I had the same issue last December (shortly after I bought and installed the meter). I could then also only resolve this by removing the battery.

I’m considering exchanging it for a new anemometer but suggestions are highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

John.
jacobhogh

Post by jacobhogh »

Hi,

I got the same problem and mine have been replaced. The new have the same problem
Skærmbillede 2021-04-20 kl. 21.28.02.png
Skærmbillede 2021-04-20 kl. 21.28.02.png (35.14 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Kind Regards,
Jacob
WattonSouth

Post by WattonSouth »

Hi, I did exchange mine for a new Anemometer.

I found a very short term workaround was to do a HomeKit 'identify' on the device (you need an app like Controller because the default iOS 'home' app won't allow you to do this on 'Not Supported' items like an Anemometer). After the identify the device starts sending data again (most of the time). Removing the batteries is the most sure-fire solution, except who wants to climb on the roof and mess around with a screwdriver.

I've got a v4 Weather Station running fw 181 and the Anemometer is running fw 25.
WattonSouth

Post by WattonSouth »

Also worth noting that when supplied my Anemometer had fw 7, which is pretty out of date. Suggests that either they don't factory install up to date firmware or it's been sitting in a warehouse for a really long time.
Baskat

Post by Baskat »

Does the fallout correspond with lots of sun and very high temperatures?
jacobhogh

Post by jacobhogh »

Hi,

Yes it seems as it corresponds. When temperature rises it happens

Thanks
Jacob
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-22 160838.png
Screenshot 2021-04-22 160838.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
sab

Post by sab »

Yep… same has happened with me with my anenometer. I emailed the Netatmo support with the issue, got a reply from them, and then sent some screen grabs to show the issue but have got no reply in almost a month. Don't bother with support, they are hopeless and never follow up! Pretty disappointing.

I reckon the problem has to do with the new ios app version which was updated in the late few weeks, as it never happpened with previous version.
WattonSouth

Post by WattonSouth »

I've had some reasonable responses from Netatmo support via Twitter. They seem to be happy to investigate and have some options to log on remotely.

I created a simple app that records the last updated date for each of the nodes just to keep an eye on the situation. It also means that when I talk to support I can at least point easily to date and times when problems occured.
Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 11.32.26.png
Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 11.32.26.png (163.97 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
Last edited by WattonSouth on 23 Apr 2021, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
WattonSouth

Post by WattonSouth »

Oh yeah, my Main unit is called Main, the outside temp and humidity is called 'Chilly', the rain gauge is called 'Soggy' and the Anemometer is called 'Windy'.

Return to “General questions”