Increase of outdoor module sending range

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Matze

Increase of outdoor module sending range

Post by Matze » 20 Jan 2014, 17:41

Dear Netatmo customer and technical support team,

I hope you do read this query and you can give me positive feedback on this. ;)

I have read now several topics where customers are facing problems with the "short" sending range between outdoor and indoor module. Connection to the outdoor module gets very often lost and outdoor modules must be placed somewhere where data are "incorretly" submitted. (e.g. close to a window etc.)

My question is, whether it is feasible, maybe per software update, to increase the sending range between outdoor and indoor module.

Also by increasing the sending range a lot of people will get better outdoor data, because they can then place the outdoor module on the "right" place outside (e.g. a rain and sun protetected area).
People, who are living in multi-family-houses with several floors will also then buy netatmo weather stations, because they will be then able to place the outdoor correctly (e.g. in the garden etc.).

Other weather stations are already able to send data to the indoor module over a range of more than 30 meters.

Quite honestly a sending range of 5-10 meters is simply too short. :|

Thanks for your answer.

Matze

Gilles2

Re: Increase of outdoor module sending range

Post by Gilles2 » 21 Jan 2014, 11:21

I guess a lot of factors can influence data transmission. If it can help, I want to report that on my side, the outdoor module is around 20 meters away from the station, with several walls in between, and I have good data transmission, so to be fair to the Netatmo team I wouldn't assume that the sending range is 5-10 meters.

Matze

Post by Matze » 21 Jan 2014, 16:28

This is fully understood that various factors can influence data transmission.

However, if I compare the netatmo sending range with my other weather stations, e.g. Oregon WMR and a EUR 15 weather station from the discounter, the sending range of netatmo station, at least in my opinion, is quite weak and should / could be improved.

g.pitts

Post by g.pitts » 07 Feb 2014, 20:27

I just installed my UWS on our boat, and to get a sense of its correlation to other temperature measurement devices we have aboard, I placed it and the outdoor module next to our Withings Baby Monitor (has video, temp, and humidity data available). So both indoor and outdoor modules are within six inches of one another (despite the naming I gave them). This morning, I noticed that our outdoor module stopped transmitting at 1:49 am. Given the two modules are literally inches apart, I suspect this is something other than a range issue. Since it is crummy weather here, it will be Sunday or possibly Monday before I'm able to get back to the boat and restart both devices. :cry:

Return to “General questions”