Anemometer Update!

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
skuske

Re: Anemometer Update!

Post by skuske » 25 Nov 2015, 20:51

For those of you who read through this topic before purchasing the wind gauge: lots of German Amazon customers have serious trouble with the wind gauge, which actually stopped working after a few weeks. Lots of them sent it back as this seriously seems to be an extremely unfinished product. If you understand any German, have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/qatqa8c

My gauge actually stopped working after 3 weeks, too. No connection to the base station, no data reported, not being able to re-connect it to the base. A product that is sold for €99,- should be much more reliable. Personally I think that Netatmo pushed this product out to ensure that is available before christmas.

Just my two cents... The good thing with Amazon is that you can send stuff back without having to argue. If Netatmo releases a v2 of the wind gauge, I will try it again, but this (beta) v1 is definitely not worth €99,- as it just does stop working for lots of people.
Download myatmo from the iTunes AppStore at

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myatmo/ ... &ls=1&mt=8

pogpol

Post by pogpol » 25 Nov 2015, 21:02

I have done another test of Netatmo wind gauge today. Finally I was able to measure the speed of wind during driving a car with possibly constant speed. I used 2 anemometers again and this time I took a base station with me so that the results of measurements had been written in it's memory. The results are interesting. When I was driving one way - maximum speed showed on car's speedometer was 80 km/h and I tried to keep that speed constant using the cruise control. The readings on Netatmo anemometer was: 69 km/h average and 74 km/h gust. On handheld Skywatch Meteo anememeter it was 80 km/h average and 97 km/h gusts. On the way back maximum speed of the car was 90 km/h (on car's speedometer). Netatmo showed 70 km/h 5-min average and 76 km/h gusts while handheld Skywatch: 90 km/h average and 109 km/h gusts.

BUT there is one thing that should be considered: Skywatch anemometer measures wind speed with high frequency(once every second) and was able to measure local air turbulence resulting from passing trucks. Netatmo anemometer has apparently much lower sampling rate (I think that maybe it's even lower that once in 6 seconds as it was said before) and was not able to measure this phenomenon.

So how do you think guys - what's the conclusion of that test? I think that wind gauge itself is calibrated quite well but it should measure the speed with greater frequency. I wonder how it would affect on battery life though...

RobNor

Post by RobNor » 25 Nov 2015, 21:08

Yes it needs to sample at least every 3seconds

Has anyone else been able to update to the latest firmware?

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 26 Nov 2015, 11:40

RobNor wrote:Has anyone else been able to update to the latest firmware?
Nope, still not officially available. :?
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (2nd Generation)
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

flappah

Post by flappah » 26 Nov 2015, 11:50

skuske wrote:For those of you who read through this topic before purchasing the wind gauge: lots of German Amazon customers have serious trouble with the wind gauge, which actually stopped working after a few weeks. Lots of them sent it back as this seriously seems to be an extremely unfinished product. If you understand any German, have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/qatqa8c
Hmmm .. from what I read on Amazon is that the first snow showers pretty much ruin the thing. Pretty weird. Would've expected more from the device. Could it be because of the screws one has to tighten manually? When I setup the windmeter and removed the plastic strip in the battery compartment it did strike me that I really hoped the construction was weather proof. I did try to tighten the screws as fast as I dared without damaging the windmeter. I've had some snow showers by now but the windmeter still works. Hope it lasts since I didn't order it from Amazon but directly in the Netatmo shop

skuske

Post by skuske » 26 Nov 2015, 12:08

There are more and more reports coming in at Amazon.de that it is obviously not weatherproof. No one can tell me that the wind gauge has been tested under 'real' west european weather conditions, with snow etc. Maybe it has been tested in China, or whereever it has been assembled, but definitely not somewhere in Europe.

I have sent mine back to Amazon. No visible moisture in the battery case - I also haven't had any trouble with the screws. I really felt like testing a beta product. It has been completely damaged by one single snow shower. It was also no longer detected as a valid wind gauge when I tried to re-connect it to the base. 100% ruined.

See my additional topic on this at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5360
Download myatmo from the iTunes AppStore at

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myatmo/ ... &ls=1&mt=8

flappah

Post by flappah » 26 Nov 2015, 13:31

Strange indeed. Mine has already had a full blown storm with horizontal rains. Since I've installed it (on 11-11) I've had 90mm of rain and there's been quite some wind. Since the 21st I've seen snow- and hail showers but up to now I'm not experiencing issues. I guess I've got to knock on wood!

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 26 Nov 2015, 15:17

Well, seems like mine died today at 2:04 P.M. :cry:
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-26 um 15.13.44.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-26 um 15.13.44.png (42.44 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)

Office:
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

Hakki

Post by Hakki » 26 Nov 2015, 15:33

GEORGzer wrote:Well, seems like mine died today at 2:04 P.M. :cry:
I had this issue last week, but it came back
(However, it was still showing signal and battery in the settings, so probably a connexion issue)

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 26 Nov 2015, 16:06

You're right, it came back at 3:45 P.M.
Thank god I don't have to climb up there :D
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-26 um 16.05.04.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-26 um 16.05.04.png (71.14 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Home:

Office:
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

Return to “General questions”