Anemometer Update!

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Hubi

Re: Anemometer Update!

Post by Hubi » 02 Dec 2015, 08:45

neve wrote:[...]Also the wind direction was turned 180 degrees. Yesterday we had SW wind, but during that period of 30 minutes the readings were NE.
See also my attachment. During the spikes it was raining and the wind was strong with gusts around 50 km/h[...]
Hello, it's only an idea, but I guess your strange readings might be explainable with the rain at that moment. Your anemometer is attached to the pole with the lower part on one side. Might it be possible that the direction of the pole to the anemometer matches with the direction the wind came from in that time?
The anemometer is working with ultra-sonic. Maybe the rain, splashing on the pole near the anemometer, was interpreted as wind...? :roll:

I don't own the anemometer yet (and won't buy one till there seem to be so many problems), and I am not a physicist, so please don't laugh at me if my guess is nonsensical. ;)

Regards... Hubi

neve

Post by neve » 02 Dec 2015, 10:57

Hello Hubi,
I attached a simple drawing with an short explanation of the weather conditions during the registration of the invalid readings.
The strong wind gusts were coming from the left. The pole is on the other side of the meter. So the pole can not cause the wrong readings I think.
Splashing of raindrops inside the area of the windmeter is maybe an issue that is causing the problem.
Attachments
Wind.jpg
Wind.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Last edited by neve on 02 Dec 2015, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

deeayy

Post by deeayy » 02 Dec 2015, 13:00

Spashing of raindrops inside the area of the windmeter is maybe an issue that is causing the problem.
Netatmo make a big deal pointing out that we shouldn't touch the sensors as this can cause issues with readings and even calibration. However, these sensors are very exposed (need to be to read the wind) to rain, dust, dirt, bird droppings etc. Surely this can all effect the readings? My rain gauge was so filthy after 6 months of usage that I had to give it a good clean. I also found a spider nesting inside. Surely the wind gauge is going to be a nightmare?

selvittää

Post by selvittää » 02 Dec 2015, 14:23

Hoi Kees
Just a small question in view of the wind direction: When mountend your Anemometer did you pointed the arrow underneath to North. ?

damienbern

Post by damienbern » 02 Dec 2015, 14:25

selvittää wrote:Hoi Kees
Just a small question in view of the wind direction: When mountend your Anemometer did you pointed the arrow underneath to North. ?
yes

skuske

Post by skuske » 02 Dec 2015, 14:27

I am wondering why nobody of Netatmo answers all those questions. I am sure they read this, but why the heck don't they just answer all those questions?

If they would just drop their few cents in, all of us would be happy...
Download myatmo from the iTunes AppStore at

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myatmo/ ... &ls=1&mt=8

Hubi

Post by Hubi » 02 Dec 2015, 16:04

@neve
I think the wrong wind direction in the readings two day ago have something to do with the mounting on that iron pipe. The iron pipe is in exactly that direction the wind seems to come from at that particular moment. I don't know why exactly and will now be quiet. :)
Actually, I would say the position of the sensor is great and should provide good results.

deeayy

Post by deeayy » 02 Dec 2015, 21:58

@neve Have you updated to the latest firmware? Knock on wood/fingers crossed etc. it seems to have fixed my issues with unreliable/missing data.

"Calibrating" the height also seems to have made my readings more exacting to a local station.

**Edit**
Details of the 115 firmware are now listed here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4499
1st December 2015 - Main module v115 / Outdoor v43 / Additional Indoor v43 / Rain Gauge v8 / Wind Gauge v11:
- Fixed problems of wind speed calculations
- Calibration can now be done according to the height of the Wind Gauge
- Bug fixes and various optimizations

neve

Post by neve » 02 Dec 2015, 23:36

@ deeayy
Yes I have the latest firmware now (115).
List of fixes should solve more issues now.

Fingers crossed for new data coming from my windgauge.

Good test is this weekend: stronger winds in the weather-forecast.

Thank you for the info about the latest update.

gavinfabl

Post by gavinfabl » 03 Dec 2015, 17:23

I have older firmware but will update to 115 soon.

Since I have sent an email to support my wind sensor has worked perfectly except for the odd few times it shows no data in the app. It normally shows nothing for 10 mins or so but does work correctly again.

I am right in the middle of horrendous weather / gale and really high up.

I just got 3 notifications from the app

At 40 mph - warning very strong wind detected.

At 53 mph - storm wind detected.

At 68mph - violent storm wind detected.

It's raining like a nightmare too.

So it definitely reads above 30 mph.

Return to “General questions”