Indoor module working with batteries??

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Matze

Indoor module working with batteries??

Post by Matze »

Hi all,

Is the indoor module now working batteries?

I would like to put my indoor module in the middle of the room and of course I do not have a plug for the power cable available. So I need to use it with batteries....

If it is not yet possible to use it with batteries, do you have an other solution available?

Thanks
Matze
Grinch

Re: Indoor module working with batteries??

Post by Grinch »

You can use any 5V Power supply.
How are you into electronics? Can you solder a battery to plug?Then you might get one of these solder plugs to it and the battery (for charging the battery) and connect any battery with 8-12V:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/DC-DC-Converter- ... 2ec9a4a2a9
You then also need a charger for the battery type you prefer.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Thanks for your answer.
However, my electronics knowledge is really bad.
I just need a solution, which I can buy and which is easy to install.. :D

M
Grinch

Post by Grinch »

Well, in theory you could by one of those external batteries to charge smartphones. They have a battery, charger and voltage regulator inside and offer 1 or 2 USB outputs.
I had one of those, but the problem of it was that it was too clever. It had a "charge detector", that means if no current was drawn it switched to standby mode and disables power output. And even a UMTS Router + netatmo indoor module could not prevent the battery to turn off its outputs. But that was just one battery, there might be others that don't have this "feature". But at least I could not find any information of this feature, neither that it is included nor that it is not or that it is configurable. So I guess it's a trial and error procedure.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Trial and error procedure, thats correct.
Which of those external usb batteries would you recommed? :)
Of course one without standby mode, hrhr.

Thx
M
Grinch

Post by Grinch »

I only tried one battery: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00F5Q4 ... _ttl_sol_0
And this had the auto-standby feature. As this was the only battery with this large capacity for a reasonable price I had to withdraw my plan with thoses batteries and switched to a solar system :)
Matze

Post by Matze »

Lets see, I have contacted Netatmo support in order to get an answer whether the usage of a usb batterie / power bank would be possible...

But i dont think so, i also did not find anything similar through google.

Return to “General questions”