operation without server

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
NetSar

operation without server

Post by NetSar » 26 Dec 2014, 11:19

hello everyone,
I want to know how work the weather station without connecting to servers netatmo.
thank you

kaizen

Re: operation without server

Post by kaizen » 03 Jan 2015, 09:04

Hello,
don't know if that is possible but it is an inevitable feature in my opinion. In the past 2 weeks the servers were not reachable several times and I could not read the current data.
In my opinion it should at least be possible to get current readings from my sensors in my (W)LAN without reaching out to the internet. The whole system is useless once the server is not reachable or the netatmo company is shut down.
minus the roof, the sky is the limit

Sendy_Netatmo

Post by Sendy_Netatmo » 30 Jan 2015, 12:36

Hi,

You can turn off your wireless connection, but it is not recommended, the main station will try to reconnect with increasingly long time frames.
When your wireless connection is off, base station is still working and storing results in its internal memory (3 days maximum) without storing it on the server. When Internet comes back, all data is sent to the server, then you can see it on the app.

magir

Post by magir » 13 Feb 2015, 22:13

Is the information stored in permanent memory or lost, when the device is switched off? I'd like to measure air quality at my office but I don't have WiFi there, so I cannot connect the station to the network.

I tried to connect it to a hot spot created by an iPhone but as it seems, the Netatmo doesn't support these type of WiFi networks.

Sendy_Netatmo

Post by Sendy_Netatmo » 20 Feb 2015, 15:21

magir wrote:Is the information stored in permanent memory or lost, when the device is switched off? I'd like to measure air quality at my office but I don't have WiFi there, so I cannot connect the station to the network.

I tried to connect it to a hot spot created by an iPhone but as it seems, the Netatmo doesn't support these type of WiFi networks.
Indeed, Netatmo doesn't support most of the hotspot. Concerning the memory, it will be stored permanently, but with a limit of 1 to 3 days (depending the number of module connected to the station).

It means that, for example, you can put your station in your office for one day without connectiong it to the newtork, then at home, connect it to your Wifi network, all data of the day will be udpated.

magir

Post by magir » 05 Mar 2015, 20:48

Sadly, this is not the case. Today I finally took the unit to my office and back home and it didn't upload any of the data. According to the downloaded data points, the last one was before I disconnected the device at home and the first one was when I reconnected it back home again. In the office it was powered via USB and correctly displayed the air quality.

magir

Post by magir » 17 Apr 2015, 23:09

I also tried to power the main unit using a USB charger but that doesn't seem to work. I read somewhere else, that the external unit stores data for up to three days when network connectivity is lost. Maybe you meant that. Can you please reconfirm that the main unit as well stores data without network connection (even when powered down)?

Ivanovitch

Post by Ivanovitch » 20 Apr 2015, 11:31

magir wrote:I also tried to power the main unit using a USB charger but that doesn't seem to work. I read somewhere else, that the external unit stores data for up to three days when network connectivity is lost. Maybe you meant that. Can you please reconfirm that the main unit as well stores data without network connection (even when powered down)?
you usb charger / port isn't powerful enough . Look for it's Watts / Amps ratings, it should be 2.75 W , 550 mA @ 5V. I successfully powered my station using a smartphone power bank (rated at max 2 Amps).

I think the main station has a limited size non-volatile memory (flash) so it should retain a few of the latest data even when completely powered off.
I don't know if the outdoor module has embedded memory though..

magir

Post by magir » 03 May 2015, 22:55

Thanks to Ivanovitch I gave it another try using a different USB battery. This time it work, let's see, how many hours I can record...

Too bad, that data isn't saved when disconnected from power but I guess the device only has a flashable firmware and no other persistent memory.

mwall

Post by mwall » 19 Jun 2015, 17:38

it is possible to extract data from the packets that your netatmo base station sends, but only if you stay at firmware version 101 (and perhaps some earlier versions). see this for details:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... EPRAVeyVW0

the base station must have a network connection, but you can point it at a fake netatmo server, or simply grab the data as the base station sends it.

they are your data, after all. and not everyone has access to the netatmo servers all the time.

Return to “General questions”