Is Netatmo generally a very bad product?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Torquetube

Re: Is Netatmo generally a very bad product?

Post by Torquetube » 27 Oct 2016, 20:27

Even with the problems I still find myself wanting one, I hope I don't regret it.

Wooze

Post by Wooze » 29 Oct 2016, 11:56

elprebse wrote:I am using Panasonic Eneloop rechargables now. Will swap to Fujitsu black recharables next time they run out.
Now I think we probably have found the issue with the battery eating of your units!
I have had bad experiences with using rechargeable batteries in such devices. As you may not know, such batteries have only a voltage of 1.2 volts and alkaline batteries one of 1.5 volts.
I do not know exactly how the battery management of the netatmo modules works, but I think that the battery level indicator works solely due to the voltage of the batteries. So, rechargeable batteries with only 1.2 volts are naturally much faster shown as "empty".
I use devices of other manufacturers, which work with rechargeable batteries not or not for very long - precisely for this reason. But it is synonymous in the manual ther, that you should not use rechargeable batteries (I think netatmo should do that too).

Have you ever tried to use alkaline batteries instead of rechargeable betteries and if so: how long did the units work with them? (I assume that you use the latest firmware.)
If the battery life with alkaline-batteries is to short too, I prefer the Energizer L91 Lithium Battery AA 1,5 Volt, 3000mAh.

elprebse

Post by elprebse » 29 Oct 2016, 12:10

Sure, I have used Alkaline batteries without more success. This solution is also bad for both economy and environment.
I don't think that any respectable company in 2016, would recommend not to use rechargable batteries. That would again point to poor engineering and insufficient capacity.

Wooze

Post by Wooze » 29 Oct 2016, 12:56

I do not see this that way, because I see it from the technical point of view.
It's nearly impossible to design some electronic devices to work properly (means including extended battery life) with both types of batteries. So they design the devices for working with 1,5 volts, because there are still many users, who want to use this type of batteries. In this case, it will work with (1,2 volts) rechargeable batteries too (but not as good like with batteries that have the full range of voltage (and we talk here about a minus of 20 %!)). In the opposite case the 1,5 volts will harm the device.
In addition, I would like to note that most rechargeable batteries lose power significantly during cold temperatures (more than alkaline-batteries, wich do that too).

But in your case, this did not work too, as you told. So i think your device has an issue itself. So i would complain that issue to netatmo and request them to change the unit.
I have the confirmation of three other users of this weather station (all are electrical technicians like me). And none of them reported such a battery life issue like you reported it.

Taavi

Post by Taavi » 10 Nov 2016, 20:59

Why use rechargeable batteries. I have the original litium batteries had already been 12 months.
The two outside, two inside, rain gauge and anemometer. All still full green battery icon.

elprebse

Post by elprebse » 10 Nov 2016, 22:26

Please search this forum. It gives you plenty of arguments, why a lot of people can't continue throwing in expensive batteries, when they drain in a few weeks.

sigreg

Post by sigreg » 16 Nov 2016, 08:58

A week.. my outdoor module does eat new set of baterries in just a week.

niggli@spamcop.net

Post by niggli@spamcop.net » 22 Nov 2016, 15:59

Had the same problem with my wind gauge, battery compartment full of water after a few months, corroded batteries and battery holder. Got it replaced (warranty) by the local distributor in Switzerland. Will see whether the new unit is more water proof.

elprebse

Post by elprebse » 22 Nov 2016, 16:04

Wind gauge, full of water, shipped to Netatmo on November 1 and received in France on November 3.
Tracking number: 1Z02Y60R9199208897

Since then complete radio silence. Follow ups by email are ignored. At least they aren't trying to fight the obvious in this forum.

Torquetube

Post by Torquetube » 22 Nov 2016, 21:38

Netatmo need to take a serious look at their customer service and support otherwise their company won't last very long.

Return to “General questions”