Home Coach and Homekit Integration

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
dhoggan

Home Coach and Homekit Integration

Post by dhoggan »

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or at least missing the point, but what exactly is the integration of the HHC with Homekit?

I can see four new fields in Homekit: temperature, humidity, carbon dioxide and air quality but not noise level. I am assuming that there are two air-related fields as one is a trigger for home automation events, but it seems to have no way to set a threshold level - all I can do is set an event as follows:

"If carbon dioxide sensor then turn light red."

Which is kind of meaningless if there is no control over when the carbon dioxide sensor is a trigger point.

Have I missed some obvious documentation?

Thanks,

Dave
dhoggan

Re: Home Coach and Homekit Integration

Post by dhoggan »

I've been doing some digging on this and it would appear that the issues may not be with the Home Coach - or indeed the weather station (which I've now managed to integrate with Homekit).

Apple's Homekit database doesn't (currently) include a data structure for a noise characteristic so it is likely that if the Netatmo device could present the noise level data, it would.

I'm still looking into the trigger question. Ultimately I may be looking at using a third party app that works with Apple's Homekit database, such as Matthias Hochgatterer’s Home app. This appears to allow much finer control of trigger events than the Apple-provided app.

In short, I've learned two things: (1) Netatmo devices are reporting as much sensor data s they can into Homekit right now and (2) The limitation is not so much with Apple's Homekit database (although there are limitations) but more with the Apple-provided app. Luckily there are excellent third party apps.

Return to “General questions”