Stevenson screen or radiation shield for outdoor module

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
joseluis

Stevenson screen or radiation shield for outdoor module

Post by joseluis »

Good morning,

I've been trying different homemade solutions for putting the outdoor module outside in a good location and with the proper setup to get good measures, but I haven't found yet a way that could be consider totally good (either too shadow or not exposed to air enough, too humid, too near the house...). I know that the outdoor temp and humidity module are not bad by itself, but the case is not the best to put it in a good place.

My next try will be like this: [I can't post URLs so sorry... but search in Google stevenson screen and pot saucers] and that will go to the pole in the roof where I have the anemometer and rain gauge, more or less 7,5 meters over the floor.. (picture attached)

He uses pot saucers to make the radiation shield, which is a good idea if you find a pot saucers with the correct plastic resistant to sunlight.

Any forum user is thinking on something like this or has already done one or bought one? I would like to know your experiences. Thanks!

Best regards
/José Luis
Attachments
anemopluvio.jpeg
anemopluvio.jpeg (380.55 KiB) Viewed 15931 times
scifi0425

Re: Stevenson screen or radiation shield for outdoor module

Post by scifi0425 »

I had difficulty with poor readings till I bought a Ambient Weather SRS100LX Temperature and Humidity Solar Radiation Shield on Amazon for about $40. It now is in direct sunlight and gives good readings.
joseluis

Post by joseluis »

scifi0425 wrote:I had difficulty with poor readings till I bought a Ambient Weather SRS100LX Temperature and Humidity Solar Radiation Shield on Amazon for about $40. It now is in direct sunlight and gives good readings.
Thanks for the reply. I have been searching and there is very few offer of radiation shields to buy in Spain, at least in the known online stores. There is something but either very expensive or imposible to adapt for netatmo (too small)

That one is not available to buy for where I live (Spain) and amazon.es doesn't have it... damn! because it looks really really good.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Hi

I did some small adjustments on a radiation shield from an old Fine Offset station...(WH1080 I belive it was)
My readings did improve by far after this modification. And its weatherproof :D

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo
Attachments
IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG (285.16 KiB) Viewed 15931 times
Netatmo Weather Station, rain and wind gauge.
Netatmo Presence Outdoor Camera.
Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell.
mscucciari

Post by mscucciari »

Protezione Tfa Per Trasmettitore Esterno 98.1114.02

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B017ILZF6C/ref ... BHOJHXMV7Z
joseluis

Post by joseluis »

mscucciari wrote:Protezione Tfa Per Trasmettitore Esterno 98.1114.02

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B017ILZF6C/ref ... BHOJHXMV7Z
I have that transmitter too and its way thinner than the netatmo outdoor device, does it fit in it?

In anyway, it's not sold in Spain, at least I don't find it... damn!
simonjedrake

Post by simonjedrake »

Hi
Having experienced the common problem with the Outdoor unit of batteries lasting not months but only days, I ordered a replacement unit which had been perfect for the last 3 weeks.
As I am not totally convinced about the long term weatherproofing of the Outdoor Unit, I have decided to purchase for £19 on eBay a housing unit to protect the unit. It's a very simple plastic housing into which the Outdoor unit simply slides with no problem at all.
Just search for - TFA Dostmann TFA 98.1114.02 Case For External Sensor Weather Protection Cage Protection

Return to “General questions”