(Temperature related) Wind gauge issues

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Houdiny

(Temperature related) Wind gauge issues

Post by Houdiny » 20 Apr 2017, 09:00

Hi there!

I've been using a wind gauge since December now, and I've realized that whenever the unit is exposed to sunlight/high temperatures, the readings are peaking. One day (on which there was almost no wind) the wind gauge read up to 70 km/h.
I got a replacement from Amazon last week, but the new unit seems to have this issue, too (I'm not quite sure yet, because we didn't have much sunlight since then), as well as another problem: with the newest firmware (18) installed, the readings won't drop below 7 km/h / 11 km/h. There's almost no wind today, so that's definitely too much.
I hope anybody can help me. Should I just get another replacement?

Martin

Houdiny

Re: (Temperature related) Wind gauge issues

Post by Houdiny » 20 Apr 2017, 17:18

It seems the readings finally have dropped to a minimum of 1kmh/3kmh, only to rise up to some peaks of <10kmh/30kmh while exposed to sunlight/"warm" temperatures.
There seemed to be a period of time following the recent firmware update yesterday where the wind gauge was stuck on a certain minimum of wind speed and a certain direction. Now it's all back to showing reading that are too high (while exposed to sunlight) again.
I've also realized that my old wind data is missing. I've read that the Netatmo support can fix that if you tell them the serial numbers, so here we go:
Old wind gauge: l016780
New wind gauge: l0217f2
(I'm not really sure if that's an l or a capital I at the beginning, sorry)
Thank you!

Martin

Houdiny

Post by Houdiny » 11 May 2017, 13:26

Update:
With low temperatures and little wind (<~9 degrees C) the wind gauge shows a pretty constant reading of 9kmh/13kmh with constant direction (even if there is no wind).
When the temperatures are rising, there seems to be a sweet spot where the wind gauge is working well.
When there is direct sunlight and higher temperatures, the wind gauge freaks out and shows very high peaks (more that 40kmh) when there really is almost no wind at all.
I wish there was a way to get correct reading all the time. I tried exchanging the batteries for temperature resistant lithium cells, but that didn't help. Any advice?

Martin

webjochen

Post by webjochen » 11 May 2017, 15:36

I have the same problem and so far no solution

DThompson10

Post by DThompson10 » 11 May 2017, 17:05

Same problem for me too. I'm still waiting for the latest firmware update, I was hoping it may help.

Houdiny

Post by Houdiny » 11 May 2017, 17:58

I'm on the latest firmware. Didn't help.

Houdiny

Post by Houdiny » 25 May 2017, 11:40

Hi there!

I've finally decided to get another replacement from Amazon, because I've tried to place the gauge in my living room and it showed wind speeds of more that 30km/h while there was no air movement at all. Very annoying. At least I figured out that the wrong measurements aren't sunlight related. It seems it's all about temperatures (more 22-23 degrees Celsius and the measurements were far off).
Long story short: It seems the replacement unit is working perfectly! I'm finally getting readings of less than 5 km/h, I'm even getting the occasional 0 now and then.

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “General questions”