Wind speed seems wrong

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Stuflo

Wind speed seems wrong

Post by Stuflo » 18 Aug 2017, 13:23

Hello.

I was looking for a little advise please.

I recently returned my wind station because suddenly it was reading 1mph in no direction despite it being gusty.

It always used to be accurate.

The new unit has been put in exactly the same place but still it's giving the same reading of 1mph in. I direction despite moderate breezes.

Any advises please would be greatly welcomed. I'm on firmware 18.

Interesting the graph gives a direction but the app screen does not?

Don't fancy climbing roof again. Can it be remotely upset.

Stuflo

Re: Wind speed seems wrong

Post by Stuflo » 19 Aug 2017, 10:07

In further news. I used another netatmo wind meter and it seemed to solve the problem. However the wind speed now seems stuck in 2mph and more strangely it has not moved from SW 235 for 12 hrs. Strangely to old one was stuck on a lower wind speed and direction SW235 for 48 hrs. I can't be 2 brand new dodgy gauges so what else could be causing this strange behaviour?

I'm wondering if it's the base station?

Hexxer

Post by Hexxer » 10 Sep 2017, 11:26

Interessting. I track IRMA and there are no usefull datas in florida. If you take official data you have >40mph wind atm. If you go to the weathermap? You can be lucky if you see >20mph.

TobbeHall

Post by TobbeHall » 09 Oct 2017, 13:26

Hello,

It seems there not so much activity on this forum but anyway, I'll ask for some feedback:

Recently I bought a Netatmo wind gauge and mounted it close to an existing 433Mhz Oregon wind gauge. This Oregon gauge reports wind speed AND direction which are in line with the Swedish Official metrological measured values in my area
I noticed 2 things,

1. the reported Netatmo wind speed is very much lower than Oregon reports. I know the Netatmo shows speed in km/h while my other gauge reports in m/s. However the conversion is to multiply Netatmo km/h with factor 3,6 to get the corresponding m/s value. BUT, the reported value from Netatmo (in km/h) is numerically pretty close to the m/s readings which are actaul in the area. Strange?? yes, is there anybody else who have this issue.

I look around on the Netatmo Weathermap for stations with Wind Gauge and I notice the readings are very low in general.

The other thing I have noticed is the wind direction, my gauge is mounted with arrow to north, still it shows about 90 degeers different from other gauges and actual direction data.
Anybody knowing how often it really measures direction and speed, does it average the values over 10 mins and report some average ??

I my mind the Netatmo wind gauge is not accurate at all as comes and to check this I actually bought a second unit. After a few days with this new unit, it basically shows the same, not correct data as the first unit.

Anybody who would comment on this??
Best regards

OdiwaN

Post by OdiwaN » 29 Oct 2017, 08:35

Hey,

yes the Wind gauge is wrong. Now we have Storm Herwart here and my Station is ~20km/h lower (Gust). I think the Netatmo need a new calibration actually is very crap.
wind1.JPG
wind2.JPG
so long

Hansi1

Post by Hansi1 » 08 Jan 2018, 23:09

Any updates on this as my wind gauge thinks 6km/h is the current speed with moderate wind... for a few days now

mjdb

Post by mjdb » 18 Jan 2018, 14:18

Same for me.
We have a very heavy storm (Beaufort 11 of maximum 12).
Met NetAtmo wind-meter says. Average 3 Beaufort with maximum of 6.
Can this be calibrated?
Marco

Tomdh76

Post by Tomdh76 » 18 Jan 2018, 21:34

mjdb wrote:Same for me.
We have a very heavy storm (Beaufort 11 of maximum 12).
Met NetAtmo wind-meter says. Average 3 Beaufort with maximum of 6.
Can this be calibrated?
Marco
You live in the netherlands?
I have the same issue and found that also on the weather map very low wind speeds are given
Today I got 4 bft on average and 8 maximum which is a record but still too low. I sent an email to support but they are saying that you should put the gauge at 10 meters. Also there is a calibration that you could use for lower points but that does not do anything either

mjdb

Post by mjdb » 19 Jan 2018, 10:27

Yes, I live in the Netherlands.
My Gauge is on a 1,5 meter high pole on top of a flat roof, about 12 meters above ground-level.
There are no high(er) buildings or trees in the surroundings.
Standing on top of the roof (same level as Gauge) I can see kilometers wide in all directions.
The weather-news yesterday showed 10 to 11 Beaufort in my environment. My Netatmo says 3 Beaufort with Peaks of 6 Beaufort.
So, the Gauge is obvious showing far to low values.

Dear Mr Netatmo, are you reading this post? Please give some suggestions.

Hansi1

Post by Hansi1 » 03 May 2018, 16:27

mjdb wrote:Yes, I live in the Netherlands.
My Gauge is on a 1,5 meter high pole on top of a flat roof, about 12 meters above ground-level.
There are no high(er) buildings or trees in the surroundings.
Standing on top of the roof (same level as Gauge) I can see kilometers wide in all directions.
The weather-news yesterday showed 10 to 11 Beaufort in my environment. My Netatmo says 3 Beaufort with Peaks of 6 Beaufort.
So, the Gauge is obvious showing far to low values.

Dear Mr Netatmo, are you reading this post? Please give some suggestions.
I also live in the netherlands. I wanted to use the wind gauge to determine when my screen go up / down, but the values are way too low.
My windgauge is replaced by a new one, but the problem remains the same. Have you heard anything back from netatmo support about this?

Return to “General questions”