Going offline/stops working

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
davinci

Going offline/stops working

Post by davinci »

The doorbell constantly loses connection to wifi for more than an hour. It sometimes doesn‘t recognize motion. Sometimes the stream in the app is black but works on HomeKit. It recovers on its own though.

It just updated yesterday but still the same.

Netatmo Presence works much better.

Is this issue widespread and known to Netatmo?
Allround_it_er

Re: Going offline/stops working

Post by Allround_it_er »

Same problem over here.
TobyTDS

Post by TobyTDS »

I’m having this issue as well.
davinci

Post by davinci »

It is offline again since yesterday. The device is warm to the touch which indicates it crashed.

How can Netatmo deliver such a mess after one year delay.

Crazy.
MattB

Post by MattB »

I have the same problem. In spite of the doorbell having a very strong signal, it disconnects regularly, often shortly after the doorbell has been pressed. It then won’t reconnect for two hours. I’m hoping this is a software bug. Even if it loses signal, which I’m convinced it isn’t, it should reconnect rapidly, rather than waiting two hours to do so.
MattB

Post by MattB »

MattB wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 20:20 I have the same problem. In spite of the doorbell having a very strong signal, it disconnects regularly, often shortly after the doorbell has been pressed. It then won’t reconnect for two hours. I’m hoping this is a software bug. Even if it loses signal, which I’m convinced it isn’t, it should reconnect rapidly, rather than waiting two hours to do so.
Further to my last post (quoted above), I've just done a complete reset and reinstallation of the doorbell, and I had to make several attempts to get it to connect to HomeKit. It looked like the doorbell kept dropping its WiFi connection mere seconds into the process. I eventually got it to cooperate by carrying out the HomeKit connectivity stage of the setup with the doorbell connected to USB (after it measured the current and confirmed that it was happy with the default chime module settings of 1/Low).

Prior to the reset, I realised that the electrician had not wired the chime module correctly in my Byron 776 chime (with built-in transformer), so I rewired it myself before the reset, following the instructions on https://netatmosupport.zendesk.com/hc/e ... me-module-

All went well after finally getting it to connect to HomeKit, with the doorbell staying connected for 4.5hrs, which is one of the longest periods it has maintained a connection. It also records a very strong WiFi signal, confirmed by my router's interface for the doorbell device specifically. But it then disconnected.

We received a delivery during the two hour period that the camera was disconnected and, upon reconnection, it looks like the doorbell camera had not recorded the doorbell press or the presence of the doorbell pusher while it was offline. Or at least the Netatmo app is not showing either event. I surmise that the doorbell must have shut down entirely, in spite of the solid blue LED continuing to be lit at all times, and this is the reason for the WiFi disconnects. The doorbell has just disconnected again, having only been connected for a shorter period of 35 minutes.

Is the doorbell not getting enough power to continue running uninterrupted and, if so, should this not have been detected during the initial setup? I'm wondering if I should try changing the chime module from 1/Low to 2/Low to see if it improves things, even though this is against instructions and recommendations. Unfortunately Netatmo Support has not yet responded to the ticket I had originally raised last Friday. I guess they must be dealing with a lot of complaints or issues.
MattB

Post by MattB »

MattB wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 17:56 We received a delivery during the two hour period that the camera was disconnected and, upon reconnection, it looks like the doorbell camera had not recorded the doorbell press or the presence of the doorbell pusher while it was offline. Or at least the Netatmo app is not showing either event. I surmise that the doorbell must have shut down entirely, in spite of the solid blue LED continuing to be lit at all times, and this is the reason for the WiFi disconnects. The doorbell has just disconnected again, having only been connected for a shorter period of 35 minutes.
It turns out that the doorbell did in fact capture this event, but it had failed to show up in the timeline of the Netatmo Security app at the time. It is now showing up. So at least the doorbell is running while it is disconnected from WiFi.

If the doorbell is disconnected from WiFi, perhaps the doorbell software can be updated to try and initiative a fresh connection whenever the doorbell is pressed? This would at least alleviate some of the problems with the doorbell being disconnected from WiFi for two-hour stretches several times a day.

Interestingly, my router is reporting that the doorbell kept disconnecting and reconnecting every 2-3 minutes during the early morning, even though I've noticed in the past that it tends to remain disconnected for 2-hours at a time. As I write this, the doorbell has remained connected for 6h 18m, which is a long streak in my week of experience with the bell. We also received a delivery earlier this morning (with a push of the doorbell) during the 6h 18m stretch of connectivity, which didn't cause the doorbell to disconnect shortly after the doorbell push (this has been a problem in the past, although admittedly that was when the chime module had improper wiring within the Byron 776 chime, which I noticed and put right yesterday morning).
MattB

Post by MattB »

I think I may have finally solved this problem with my particular installation. I disabled Fast Roaming on my Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) router, and I also increased the DTIM setting, from its hidden default of 1, to 3. The doorbell has now been maintained a steady Wi-Fi connection for nearly 24hrs. While this is by no means conclusive, it’s already a dramatic improvement on the first week’s connectivity performance.

I still maintain that the doorbell has a flaw, in that it seems to take nearly two hours to reconnect to Wi-Fi in the event of a disconnect, but at least I seem to have found a way to keep it connected to Wi-Fi now. I suspect it’s the DTIM setting that made all the difference, as the doorbell doesn’t appear to support the fast roaming feature that I had previously had enabled (I have three additional wireless access points connected to my UDM router, hence the earlier enablement of fast roaming).
netatmo_newb

Post by netatmo_newb »

My UDM Dreammachine pro does not need that kind of improvement....

Are you sure that changes anything to positive? UDM pro does not provide wifi...

What APs do you have?

I got a nanoHD installation and UDM Pro / Switch pro/ swich pro poe+ here ... just to exchange on habits of the ubiquiti equipment with netatmo equipment.
MattB

Post by MattB »

netatmo_newb wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 16:47 What APs do you have?

I got a nanoHD installation and UDM Pro / Switch pro/ swich pro poe+ here ... just to exchange on habits of the ubiquiti equipment with netatmo equipment.
I have the base version of the UDM, rather than the Pro version, so it has a built-in AP that's akin to the NanoHD. The doorbell always had a very strong Wi-Fi signal to the UDM, with very little interference, but it still wouldn't stay connected for very long (sometimes just a few minutes) and would wait nearly two hours before reconnecting.

In addition to the UDM, I originally had a single FlexHD AP and a single NanoHD connected back to the UDM via UniFi switches. Both of those APs were are a little out of reach for the doorbell, and I had the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi disabled on the FlexHD.

After making the DTIM config change that seemed to make the doorbell happy to maintain its Wi-Fi connection, the doorbell initially connected directly to the UDM, but then a few hours later it roamed to a new FlexHD that I fitted closer to the bell (in the room above the storm porch in which the bell has been fitted).

Interestingly, the UDM gives the doorbell a much stronger Wi-Fi signal on channel 1 (~ -48 dBm), but the bell has chosen instead to roam to the FlexHD that gives it a slightly weaker signal on channel 13 (~ -62 dBm) and has stayed there ever since. The doorbell seems responsive nevertheless, and has now been connected via Wi-Fi from the UDM initially, then from the FlexHD, for a total of 2d 7h 30m so far. The most I could manage before was about 6hrs at best.

Return to “General questions”