Doorbell not compatible to fast roaming (IEEE802.11r)

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
netatmo_newb

Doorbell not compatible to fast roaming (IEEE802.11r)

Post by netatmo_newb »

Hej folks,

for now the doorbell is not compatible to fast roaming features of wifi access points. As I have many in my home I need the fast roaming feature for all other devices to connect properly.

However when enabled, the doorbell doesnt connect anymore.

Is anybody working on that bug? The official bugrequests are not being responded at all.

Thanks
jmjlai

Re: Doorbell not compatible to fast roaming (IEEE802.11r)

Post by jmjlai »

Is this the same thing as what's used in mesh networks?
My presence cam was getting poor signal, so I bought a mesh node to place between my router and the camera.
Now, my presence has good signal, but shows as disconnected 1-2 times per day for 1/2 an hour.
For reference, I'm using a Asus RT-AC86U router with a RP-AC55 AiMesh node.

From Netatmo's FAQ:
If there are multiple Wi-Fi access points (repeater / booster / extender) in your network, be sure to set different name (SSID) for each access point. Then make sure the Camera is setup to connect to the access point with the strongest signal. To do so, go to the following menu in the Security app settings: Manage my home> Room of the Camera> Camera> Configure network.
Does this mean that Netatmo's cameras are not compatible with mesh networks? As mesh networks are becoming very common nowadays, I think this would almost be a necessity.
netatmo_newb

Post by netatmo_newb »

Its not exactly the same but similar.

Iam also using a mesh network additionally... but have the doorbell connected to an AP directly -> the issue here is that the wifi that the doorbell is connected to is the same as for all my other wifi devices.... and I do want to use roaming ( standard feature usually) to work properly... so hopeing for a fix in doorbell firmware...
the doorbell itself has no mesh capabilities, but should / and shall / work correctly in mesh networks.
Jefke Peeters

Post by Jefke Peeters »

I also have a Mesh wifi on which the doorbell is connected to (Netgear RBR50).
The connection is stable, but I have some other issues.

Being on 4G, and with a strong signal, I have a very poor picture quality when someone rings my bell and I start talking to him/her.
Also an error that there's no HomeKit hub in the network, but I have 3 AppleTV's which are setup as an hub. Other homekit compatible appliances in our house connects perfectly with the hubs...
Picture and sound quality over HomeKit and being on 4G are perfect, but with a huge delay. So am I warned in the Security app (so to speak due the missing of an hub)
Viper

Post by Viper »

Hi, i have no problems with fast roaming on my deco m5.
netatmo@rjnet.de

Post by netatmo@rjnet.de »

My observation using a wifi with multiple access points (UniFi) are the following:
The doorbells wifi connection seems to be successful in roaming between the access points
This is valid for fast roaming (802.11r) as well as only using BSS Transition with WNM (802.11v)
WHAT DOES NOT WORK: After an interruption (roam?) the doorbell dissociates from the HomePod as HomeKit Hub which results in partial dis-functionality of the HomeKit features. This always affects the Ring-on-HomePod Feature but sometimes even extends to failure of the Home App to view the video stream from the doorbell, while accessing the event history, live stream and video recordings within the security app still works perfectly fine.

The netatmo support is trying to come up with a solution for quite a while now. Unfortunalty the current recommendation is to set up a separate SSID that only emitted from a single access point. I hope this will be a solution but nevertheless only needs to be implemented as a temporary workaround. So I don't have to spend one of my available SSIDs to only operate this doorbell. I would say I am lucky that my access points can be controlled so fine grained which is definitely not true for all mesh networks...

Netatmo please fix these networking issues!
syepes

Post by syepes »

Please resolve these disconnection issues, I have now having to power off and restart the doorbell every two days!
I also have a very good wifi setup UAP-NanoHD + U6-LR, so my problem are definitively not my setup nor the distance, I have a cheap €16 Sonoff RF-Bridge that is positioned three times farther than the €300 doorbell and it never gets disconnected.

They both are using the same SSID that is forced to 2.4GZ and without any of the advanced features..

!NETATMO TEAM! Please work on this!

Return to “General questions”