Apple HomeKit users: does your doorbell see your HomeKit hub?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Jefke Peeters

Apple HomeKit users: does your doorbell see your HomeKit hub?

Post by Jefke Peeters »

short description of my problem:
Since firmware 91 my doorbell becomes stable and usable, but only when I'm at home. The Netatmo security app works too slow and has an overall bad streaming and interaction quality.
It's connected with my HomeKit system. As long as I'm on wifi, streaming and communication with the doorbell is awesome with HomeKit.

Being not at home and on 4G connection, I have a huge delay with the HomeKit streams.

When I open the Netatmo Doorbell settings in the Security app and when I click on "Siri & Apple Home", I have an error who says: "HomeKit not available outside your local network".
In fact the doorbell can't discover my HomeKit hub (AppleTV 4K), while all other homekit stuff (Somfy curtains, Philips Hue) does.

Netatmo support says they don't have a solution.

Could someone who also uses HomeKit check if this error also exists in their system? I really want to know the source of this problem: my homenetwork, or Netatmo's software.

A very big Thank you!

Gert
michele_monch

Re: Apple HomeKit users: does your doorbell see your HomeKit hub?

Post by michele_monch »

then if i go into the doorbell settings i get the same error as you, but i wouldn't say it's an error but a warning. I have 5 other netatmo cameras besides the doorbell and it gives the same warning. in fact, if he entered 4g on homekit I still see all the cameras with a slight delay compared to the wi-fi connection but this is normal. you must have a good wi-fi line to upload at home is a good download on the phone in 4g to see decently. I have 20mbps in upload on the wi-fi and 25Mbps in download on the phone in 4g and you can see well. I can't tell you in response when one rings because my doorbell is not yet installed on the gate but it is connected and I keep it in the kitchen until they release worthy updates to make it work well and not risk someone ringing and I don't hear at home .
Jefke Peeters

Post by Jefke Peeters »

Ok, but it seems it's a fault from the side of Netatmo. That's what I like to know.

The 6 sec delay I encounter on 4G, is exact the 6 sec delay Netatmo warns me about in the notification.
When I use other devices in my HomeKit (the ones who're connected to the hub), they have a delay of 0,5 sec.

In any case, the doorbell is useless for me today. When someone like the drivers of eg. DHL ring my bell and I'm not at home, he is already gone before I have the possibility to talk to him. Neither via de Security app, neither via HomeKit (on 4G).
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

I also find the doorbell response very slow. I have 400Mbps fibre wifi at home, and 4G on my phone which is usually about 150Mbps. Even when I am at home, I have never yet managed to talk to anybody via the doorbell.

Is it best to answer with Homekit? Or with Netatmo Security? When somebody presses the bell both pop up which does not help. I know I can turn off Homekit notification but am reluctant as this seems faster and more stable than the Netatmo Security app.

Return to “General questions”