Can't connect doorbell to Security App

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Oxymoron

Can't connect doorbell to Security App

Post by Oxymoron »

I have been become extremely frustrated by user experience in trying to install the Netatmo doorbell.

I am not a Netatmo novice (I have 3x Presence, 3 x Welcome and Weather Station) all of which I installed without the slightest difficulty. The wiring for my doorbell was done by professional Electrician (who incidentally found the instructions just as confusing as I do) using brand new Legrand 12vAC power supply and 12v buzzer. I have five bars of wifi at the installation location.

The confusion starts really because of really bad instructions, and inconsistent behaviour of the device.

The main inconsistency is the LEDS and the "melody". Sometimes the LEDS blink and sometimes they are steady but the instructions do not seem to differentiate. Also the first time the apparatus is started after taking out of the box, it behaved differently from all subsequent startups after a reset. I am now on my second device, as I returned the first to Amazon thinking it was defective because it never played the startup melody described in step 27 of the instructions. Now that I have the replacement, that does not play a melody either so are they both defective? Or has the melody disappeared from the firmware? The first device I had refused to connect at all or even show up in Homekit. At least the second immediately showed up in Apple Homekit so I thought I had a solution. But it then refused to connect to the App. So I deleted it from Homekit to start again. Now it just won't connect to Homekit, and I can't even get it to display the solid LED which indicated that it is ready to connect to the App.

The main problem with the instructions is that there is really very little overview of how it works. I had to use google to find out what the Chime module does. Also there appears to be an internal power supply in the device - why is this not mentioned in the instructions? Presumably the wifi receptor is in the device (not the chime module like on BTiino) so can I disconnect the device from its mount and bring it into the house to try to connect it to wifi, using its power supply? Or do I have to stand outside in the rain for hours trying to get it to connect?

Really bad instructions frankly.

Return to “General questions”