[Solved with special reset procedure] Image in red color - Doorbell bricked?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
klaus53

[Solved with special reset procedure] Image in red color - Doorbell bricked?

Post by klaus53 »

Since this morning, after the Video Doorbell switched back from Night View, the picture/video image was all in blue colors.

I did the "power off - wait - power on" cycle. Now the image is in red colors.
Subsequent power off/on cycles do not change this behavior.

Had anyone simiilar experience? Is the doorbell now bricked?

I am hesitant to perform a "reset" - it is my understanding this would then require a complete re-installation (what a pain!)

--- Update, a few hours later ----

I fixed it! Did a "reset", but not a full factory reset. Here are the steps:
  • Removed the security screw and take the doorbell off the mounting plate on the wall.
  • Took a needle to push the "reset" switch (the small hole at the back of the unit). Waited until the LED responds.
  • The LED flashed green, then went off completely.
  • Pushed the reset switch again.
  • The LED flashed green, then red, then green again, and in the end changed to blue. (Very strange, unexpected!)
  • Put the unit back to the mounting plage on the wall, put the security screw in.
The Netatmo Security App (iOS) explains only a "network configuration reset", and this is completely different from the reset which I experienced. Okay, I performed a different kind of reset - which is not explained anywhere, but works very well, without any re-installation or re-configuration, neither WiFi nor Homekit.

Again, this procedure is obviously not a complete factory reset. Seems to be a smooth local reset, keeping all settings.

What ia annoying is not only the poor quality of the Video Doorbell (I have two units, perfect WiFi signal quality, but too many disconnects and other firmware related bugs), it is the fact that Netatmo does not even provide useful documentation for this kind of reset. And documentation which exists (in the manual and the app does not match. What a mess.

Thanks, Klaus
Attachments
2021-08-24 09.52.25.PNG
2021-08-24 09.52.25.PNG (408.69 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
El_Duderino

Re: [Solved with special reset procedure] Image in red color - Doorbell bricked?

Post by El_Duderino »

I have had the same issue. Then without me doing anything it went away, but only for a few hours.
Now it's back, though only on the right half of the camera, which is extra weird because I thought it was related to the "night mode" setting. Anyway it has been like that for a few days now. Unfortunately your reset method didn't change that.
Anyone else experiencing this?
klaus53

Re: [Solved with special reset procedure] Image in red color - Doorbell bricked?

Post by klaus53 »

Well, the problem came back - with solid blue color. A full reset was needed, which fixed it.
Tonight the problem came back again, with solid blue color. It seems to happen sometimes when the device switches to night view. Power off/on didn't fix it. Need to see tomorrow during the day if a reset helps. This, however, could be a nightmare ... may need to remove it from Homekit and go through the whole installation process.
I*ll update here when I have more details.

--- Update Sept. 26, 2021 ------

I went through the reset procedure - 3 times, until the reset was finally successful. During these procedures, I had the image in red, blue, and grey color. No idea if this is firmware or hardware related. Could be some bad hardware component.
The Security app remembered the Video Doorbell. No need to add it there again.
Only Homekit required it to be removed, and added again.
Right now it's back to regular operation, with correct image colors.
For now, I disabled Night View ("always off") to see if this makes a difference. It must be the switching between the two modes, which fails from time to time.
loekf

Post by loekf »

Thanks for sharing.

I swear I had IR nigh mode always on, on and off. I now turned it off just to be sure it does not switch between the modes.

Return to “General questions”