Poor Wi-Fi Connection

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
cmjudd

Poor Wi-Fi Connection

Post by cmjudd »

Recently installed the Netatmo Video Doorbell and since setup, I've been experiencing poor wi-fi connection. I've moved the wi-fi booster near to the doorbell and checked the down/up load speeds (with iPhone) around this booster and the doorbell. What I have discovered is that when the IPhone is moved near to the doorbell, the signal drops or disappears completely. Speed around the booster is 22 Mbps (download) and 4 Mbps (upload), so I think the speed is fine, it's just the wi-fi connection seems poor. I can view stored video from the doorbell, but it buffers. Any help would be appreciated.
iceman314

Re: Poor Wi-Fi Connection

Post by iceman314 »

Personally, I had to install a dedicated access point 2.4 GHz only (an old apple airport express) just behind the door, because the doorbell was reporting always bad connection and it was extremely slow. Now it is still a little bit slow when I answer to a call, but the wifi is 3 over 4, so it is better.
I think that the signal strength of the device is quite poor compared to several other devices I have in my network.
Hemmik

Post by Hemmik »

iceman314 wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 11:42 Personally, I had to install a dedicated access point 2.4 GHz only (an old apple airport express) just behind the door, because the doorbell was reporting always bad connection and it was extremely slow. Now it is still a little bit slow when I answer to a call, but the wifi is 3 over 4, so it is better.
I think that the signal strength of the device is quite poor compared to several other devices I have in my network.
I did exactly the same. I have many wifi device throughout my home but only the Netatmo doorbell had problems connecting. I also made a dedicated 2.4 GHz network for the doorbell using an old access point. I think this is really unacceptable for a 300 euro device (that I bought especially for HKSV which is nowhere to be seen more than a year after purchase).
Peter8319

Post by Peter8319 »

Exactly the same as above. Bought and plugged in extender 2.4GHz just for doorbell even if the main router (ASUS ROG) is 3,5m away, in direct line with doorbell (in cupboard under wooden stairs and 2xPCV doors, no walls). 2.4GHz and speed of “n” is not designed for HD streaming with such slow values of transfer. Even with extender, there is always delay when starting video or streaming.

Bought this doorbell year ago, with messages all over that HKSV is coming. Year later nothing. If not the fact that there is no alternative option, I would resign already. Netatmo is not stupid, they know that there is not much competition so they can keep selling unfinished product to make money and they not really bothered about people waiting.

Considering just the time from the release of device, this is time period enough to produce a video game and with AAA titles we are half way through but this is bloody doorbell and single functionality available in devkit from Apple. Totally don’t understand why.

I am starting my own business around smart home, based on HK. As soon as other doorbells are available, I will make sure I do not sell even single Netatmo Doorbell. Such a great quality device itself wasted by no firmware support and empty promises.
Armandl

Post by Armandl »

Exactly the same issue whatever all other device and signal measure at the point where the bell is installed show good wifi but the Netatmo bell doesn't connect. Rubish.
syepes

Post by syepes »

+1 Nice HW but thge WIFI just sucks, I should of gone directly with the https://www.doorbird.com products
Peter8319

Post by Peter8319 »

This has paid subscription and no HK
syepes

Post by syepes »

Yes, but the API is 100% free and local no cloud stuff, but of course it's only for the geeks.
Hemmik

Post by Hemmik »

I spent 2(!!!) hours again yesterday getting the the doorbell connected to the Wifi of my new router. Making sure that 2.4 and 5Ghz had separate SSIDs did not fix it. In the end I had to revert back to a separate access point for the Doorbell making it the only product that uses that network. Absurd that this is necessary with a 300 euro product.
syepes

Post by syepes »

Hemmik wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 10:40 I spent 2(!!!) hours again yesterday getting the the doorbell connected to the Wifi of my new router. Making sure that 2.4 and 5Ghz had separate SSIDs did not fix it. In the end I had to revert back to a separate access point for the Doorbell making it the only product that uses that network. Absurd that this is necessary with a 300 euro product.
Exactly !

Return to “General questions”