How remove and then re-add to HomeKit?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
OtterBay

How remove and then re-add to HomeKit?

Post by OtterBay »

Is there a simple way to remove the doorbell from HomeKit and then re-add? The broken snapshot bug in the iOS Home app is annoying, and I've read that removing cameras and then re-adding is a solution. But I am hoping I don't have to do a full reset of my doorbell to do this. Appreciate the help.
Valo

Re: How remove and then re-add to HomeKit?

Post by Valo »

I think I read that the issue will shortly return if you delete and add back an affected camera. Similarly with logging out and back in to your iCloud account.

Apple should be aware of the issue by now, as I know that MacRumors posted an article about it and reached out to Apple for comment.

It’s an annoying problem but a fix will be in the works. I’d just try and hold tight a bit longer.
OtterBay

Post by OtterBay »

It is possible that it will come back, but regardless, I would like to know what the process is to remove the doorbell from HomeKit and re-add back to HomeKit. I am sure it will be needed for something else in the future. I very much hope it doesn't require a full reset of the doorbell.
klaus53

Post by klaus53 »

I removed from and re-added the Doorbell to Homekit. Even if you remove it completely - from Homekit and the Netatmo Security app - it must first be added to Homekit. The process has changed since the first launch, but I've not seen any complete documentation from Netatmo. (The new process was mentioned once in this forum by a user.)

Here is how it works, I succeeded after quite some trouble:

First, go to Homekit and open the Doorbell (in Homekit!)
At the bottom of the screen there is the option "Remove from Homekit"
Next, as a requirement in Homekit, the Doorbell requires a reset! Homekit will otherwise reject it, and notice you about the required reset.
After the reset it is possible to add the Doorbell again to Homekit.

I can't tell if there were/are issues with Homekit and/or the Netatmo servers ... it took me 2 days (day 1 no chance - day 2 for unknown reasons better) and more than 20 times until I successfully added the Doorbell again to Homekit. I got messages like "an unknown error occurred", "the Doorbell could not be found" ... and others. WiFi is extremely strong, 100%, the access point sits directly behind the wall where the Doorbell is mounted. And the Doorbell confirms the strong WiFi signal - so I wonder why there is all that trouble. Firmware issues?

Return to “General questions”