Flummoxed trying to connect to Greenstar 30CDi

You need some help attaching the thermostat to your specific boiler. This way please !
dekfaefife

Flummoxed trying to connect to Greenstar 30CDi

Post by dekfaefife » 21 May 2019, 00:33

I'm struggling to successfully connect the thermostat to my Greenstar 30CDi Combi boiler. The boiler is currently connected to an Altech controller, which appears to terminate at the boiler end with two cables - one carrying a brown wire which is connected to the LR terminal, and another cable carrying a brown wire which is connected to the LS terminal and a blue wire which is connected to the NS terminal. I've disconnected all of these cables from their respective terminals and connected the relay's black and grey cables to the LS and LR terminals (and the relay's power cable to the L & N terminals) - all as per the manual. However when I turn the power on, the relay blinks initially then goes off, but I get no response from pressing the relay button - i.e. the boiler doesn't turn on or off. Similarly, there is no response when the transmitter or the app is used to raise or lower the temperature to switch boiler on or off - although the boiler on symbol does appear. I've tried (re)setting up the relay through the app, but that makes no difference either. I expect the solution is staring me in the face, but I am totally flummoxed. Anyone got any ideas.

GEORGzer

Re: Flummoxed trying to connect to Greenstar 30CDi

Post by GEORGzer » 21 May 2019, 10:32

The wiring as you described seems to be correct.
I can think of two things:

1. Your Relais is defective. You could test this by switching off your boiler and putting a bridge cable between LR and LS. If your boiler doesn‘t start after you switch the power on again then it might be:

2. false boiler settings. The boiler has to be set to either ON oder AUTOMATIC (I have to admit, I didn‘t research the menu structure) to be controllable by an external thermostat.
Home:
Weather Station (Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (1. Generation)
Healthy Home Coach

dekfaefife

Post by dekfaefife » 24 May 2019, 13:22

Thanks for that. I'll give your suggestion a try

dekfaefife

Post by dekfaefife » 30 May 2019, 13:13

Convinced that the relay was defective, I returned the kit to the supplier who provided a replacement. Installed and it worked first time :D

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 30 May 2019, 21:58

;)
Home:
Weather Station (Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (1. Generation)
Healthy Home Coach

Return to “Attaching the Thermostat to the boiler”