Can’t configure

thbo

Can’t configure

Post by thbo »

I have installed the doorbell, and managed to use it for 30 min yesterday. Chime worked and live video worked.

The doorbell however only worked in the Security app and not HomeKit/Home.app. The Home.app showed a grey preview area for the doorbell but with an error. The Doorbell did work in the security app (apart from alert zones).

I therefore decided to reset the Doorbell from the app. I noticed this didn’t reset the Doorbell itself so I connected it to USB and waited for it to boot up, held a pin in the reset hole until the light went from flashing red to solid green, and again waited until it turned to “glowing” white before deconnecting from USB.

I have done the reset routine above about 30 times now, but since first reset both starting configuration from the Security app or starting configuration from the Home.app refuses to connect to the Doorbell anymore. It searches and ends with an unnumbered error every time.

I can see the Netatmo-Doorbell WiFi network but neither connecting to that or my normal 2.4Ghz network makes it work.

This is very frustrating as I know my setup worked before the reset! What haven’t I done right?
Hemmik

Re: Can’t configure

Post by Hemmik »

Hi thbo,

I've had the same issue, took me 3 days but I fixed it eventually. See https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php ... =70#p81618 for more info. I ended up making a separate wifi network for the doorbell as the doorbell only wanted to connect to the main unit of my mesh network which was too far away, it refused to connect to a mesh point 2 meters away. You can also try setting up the doorbell while powered by usb. After that put it on the wall mount and see if it stays connected. Goog luck! I expect it to work eventually!
thbo

Post by thbo »

Hi Hemmik! And thank you so much for your tips.

Ended up separating the SSIDs of my different WiFi endpoints so I could exclusively connect to the nearest. Still no dice.

I then ran configuriation while on USB and indeed that worked. But when I switched the doorbell to its plate on the outside I got circuit error in the Security app, but HomeKit still works.(I guess the voltage changed from usb although it worked on that voltage yesterday) Tried to reset again but same result. So at least I can watch from Home.app and AppleTV, and take “calls” when people ring.

Will I still get firmware updates when only the HomeKit part works?
thbo

Post by thbo »

WTF! I now got rid of the Security app while the Doorbell was still added to HomeKit. When downloading and starting up the Security app again, it found the Doorbell already in HomeKit (different configuration sequence) and suddenly works just fine too! Thank you, Hemmik!

So I would suggest first adding it to HomeKit from USB (optionally force it to connect to its finally closest WiFi endpoint), move it and then installing the app (if that is possible in general too).

I bet this Doorbell with its unknowns with regard to installation into old hardware will generate tons of support requests. Also because it bases itself on HomeKit during configuration and HomeKit can be fickle and behave different between iOS versions.

Return to “Applications”