No Alert on iphone when someone rings the doorbell

Giannismile

No Alert on iphone when someone rings the doorbell

Post by Giannismile »

Hi there,
When someone rings the doorbell, my iphone does NOT light up the screen and show the call, which then I could answer. It only shows the call if I manually wake up the screen.
However, my apple watch gives me that message, but I cannot answer the call on the watch - and actually, I want to do that on my iphone in order to see the full picture. Do you see a way how to get the iphone waking up and showing straight away that someone is ringing on the door?
Thanks.
Gianni
Last edited by GEORGzer on 12 Oct 2020, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title adapted
GEORGzer

Re: No Alert on iphone when someone rings the doorbell

Post by GEORGzer »

This is actually not the way it‘s supposed to be. You should get a (constant) notification until it times out or you pick up by opening the security app.
Did you give notification permissions to the Netatmo security app?
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
Giannismile

Post by Giannismile »

Dear GEORGzer,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think I have allowed all kinds of notifications, but the screen of the iphone does not wake up by itself. So, on the iphone, I cannot know at all that someone is ringing on the door...only if I wake it up by myself by accident. If not, the screen remains dark when someone rings.

In the settings of the netatmo Security app, I have allowed:
- allow notifications
- allowed on lock screen
- allowed in notifications
- allowed as banner
- banner style temporary
- sounds on
- Show preview: always (standard)
- notification grouping: automatic

And in general for all notifications:
- show preview: always

Maybe relevant: I am running iOS 14.2 beta on the iphone.

Again, maybe the fact that the apple watch shows the notification takes it away from the iphone and thats why the iphone does not wake up by itself? Not ideal. It would be best if we could get the notifications both on the apple watch and that the iphone wakes up and offers the call immediately.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

My guess this is either an iOS notification problem or with the security app, not the Doorbell itself.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell

Not a Netatmo employee
Giannismile

Post by Giannismile »

Dear GEORGzer,
Thanks for this.
It seems, it is really linked to the apple watch. When I fully switched it off, the iPhone started bringing up the screen with the repeated doorbell calls.
I fear, iOS won’t allow to have notifications in parallel both on iPhone and apple watch. Will see, which is my best setup.
Thanks.
Gianni
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Interesting, I don‘t own an Apple Watch (yet). So I have no experience on it‘s behavior.

Not a Netatmo employee
mvdh

Post by mvdh »

Hi, My problem is that for all my cameras notification was set up without sound, now the doorbell is showing up, but no alert sound. Can I set up separately the alarm sounds in the app? Thank you: Mike
John6619

Post by John6619 »

I have the same with my Apple Watch!
Galapogos

Post by Galapogos »

Whenever you wear an Apple Watch, you will be notified on your Apple Watch instead of your iPhone. This is true for all iOS notifications. It's the way Apple designed this.

I guess you could turn off Apple Watch notifications for the Home app and/or Netatmo Security App, but leave them enabled on your iPhone. That way notifications should (only) arrive on your iPhone.

So in the end you can choose to receive notifications:
- Only on your iPhone
- On your iPhone if you don't wear Apple Watch, on your Apple Watch (and not on your iPhone) if you do wear Apple Watch

There is no way to receive notifications on both devices simultaneously.

There is a workaround however, since you can set up notifications for each app individually:
- Enable notifications from Home app on your iPhone, disable on your Apple Watch
- Enable notifications from Netatmo Security app on your Apple Watch, disable on your iPhone

This way you will receive notifications on both devices simultaneously, albeit from different apps. Maybe this works for some of you.
Giannismile

Post by Giannismile »

Wow, this sounds like a smart way to do it. thanks a lot. Will try :)

Return to “Applications”