Wiring Smart Doorbell

Stefman

Re: Wiring Smart Doorbell

Post by Stefman »

Hemmik wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 09:55 I'm starting to think mine is also DOA. After resetting the doorbell I the same fashion I am able to get a wifi signal next to my wifi router but when I move away a few meters it's already down to 1 max 2 bars. When I put it on my door there is no connection whatsoever. I made some more wifi adjustments today, making a dedicated 2.4 Ghz network for the doorbell only and when I do a speedtest with my iPhone on that network on the EXACT SAME SPOT I get ~25 MBPS down and ~60 MBPS up, with a ping between 8 and 25 ms. The doorbell simply won't connect to this wifi except when it's on a usb cable and battery within a few meters. This is so extremely frustrating and has taken too much of my time..
So we all have DOA doorbells? :o
I was waiting for this doorbell for almost 2 years because it's the only one supporting Homekit.
I am regretting it already.
Arthur_Netatmo

Post by Arthur_Netatmo »

Hemmik wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 22:44 Thanks. I swapped out my transformer and that problem is fixed. WiFi seems to be an issue now though. I’ve tried several repeaters and can’t get it to work properly. It just keeps losing its connecting despite getting ~10 mbps on my phone at the exact same spot. Think I will have to send it back. Weird thing is got a perfectly fine connection with the eufy battery doorbell.
Hi Hemmik, this is not a normal behaviour, can you try rebooting the product?
To do this simply cut off the power of you doorbell for 2 minutes, to let the doorbell shut down completely, and then put the power back on.
Please let us know!
Arthur - Product Manager
Stefman

Post by Stefman »

Arthur_Netatmo wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:11 Hi Cduijker and Stefman, when you install the doorbell on the wall mount it is perfectly normal to see the LED blinking green for a few moments, it is part of the installation process. Once the LED is solid green and you hear the melody coming from the doorbell, you can press the doorbell button to test your chime. No need to reset it at this point!
The installation process can take in total 1 minute to finish, as the doorbell is testing your electrical setup to confirm it delivers enough power
It keeps blinking green so there is definitely something wrong.
Arthur_Netatmo

Post by Arthur_Netatmo »

Stefman wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:15 It keeps blinking green so there is definitely something wrong.
Thanks for the feedback, can you describe what actions you performed on the product, did you reset it on USB at some point?
Arthur - Product Manager
Cduijker

Post by Cduijker »

Arthur_Netatmo wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:11 Hi Cduijker and Stefman, when you install the doorbell on the wall mount it is perfectly normal to see the LED blinking green for a few moments, it is part of the installation process. Once the LED is solid green and you hear the melody coming from the doorbell, you can press the doorbell button to test your chime. No need to reset it at this point!
The installation process can take in total 1 minute to finish, as the doorbell is testing your electrical setup to confirm it delivers enough power
As I said the doorbell LED keeps blinking green forever and never turns solid green nor white. Also no melody.
That is why I would like to reset the doorbell; but the reset procedure does not work. It stays flashing green forever. And there is nor response after pressing the reset button (no matter how long I keep it pushed).

Is the reset procedure as described in the manual?

regards
Stefman

Post by Stefman »

Arthur_Netatmo wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:16
Stefman wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:15 It keeps blinking green so there is definitely something wrong.
Thanks for the feedback, can you describe what actions you performed on the product, did you reset it on USB at some point?
I got the same problems as Cduijker.
Resetting doesn't work at all, tried with and without USB.
When I connect to USB the doorbell works fine.
Hemmik

Post by Hemmik »

When I see this https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=18773 my chime module should be on 2-low as I have a 8VA transformer, right? The lights during the setup process however showed that the standard setting of 1-low was ok. Can this explain the wifi situation?
VincentT

Post by VincentT »

Hemmik wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 12:41 When I see this https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=18773 my chime module should be on 2-low as I have a 8VA transformer, right? The lights during the setup process however showed that the standard setting of 1-low was ok. Can this explain the wifi situation?
All 8VAC transformer are not exacty 8VAC but higher. It could be 12VAC for instance when measuring.
First thing our product do is measuring the installation voltage and inform the customers (LED color) so please follow the LED indication.
Vincent - Netatmo Hardware Engineer
Hemmik

Post by Hemmik »

VincentT wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 12:58
Hemmik wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 12:41 When I see this https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=18773 my chime module should be on 2-low as I have a 8VA transformer, right? The lights during the setup process however showed that the standard setting of 1-low was ok. Can this explain the wifi situation?
All 8VAC transformer are not exacty 8VAC but higher. It could be 12VAC for instance when measuring.
First thing our product do is measuring the installation voltage and inform the customers (LED color) so please follow the LED indication.
Ok. I'll keep the setting to 1-Low. I've done what you asked and took it off the power for 2 minutes. still can't get it to connect to my network. Did some extensive testing and have a speed of 15-30 on the same spot and around the doorbell (300+ on 5Ghz but for this doorbell that's irrelevant).
I've added a picture of the placement. Could the metal strip or the metal chain behind it have any influence on the signal? The access point is ~4 meters away without thick walls in between.
[attachment=0]IMG_3698.jpeg[/attachment
Attachments
IMG_3698.jpeg
IMG_3698.jpeg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 4168 times
Hemmik

Post by Hemmik »

Now it's just silly. I give up. In red the doorbell, in yellow a Fritz access point connected to my router with fibre 1000 up and down. No connection whatsoever.
IMG_3700.jpeg
IMG_3700.jpeg (805.98 KiB) Viewed 4144 times

Return to “Electrical Wiring”