Buzzing and vibrating chime

DaveV

Re: Buzzing and vibrating chime

Post by DaveV »

Well I did found out something new. Netatmo support asked me if the fuse in the chime module is still ok (i didn't even know there was a fuse in there), so after removing the adhesive strip on the back of the chime module and opening it, the fuse is completely opaque (that is never a good sign for a glass fuse), so it seems to be blown. So no idea why the fuse is blown but it still doesn't explain why the doorbell is working fine from the Home app and even gives a video feed from the doorbell after the bell is pressed.

Well no matter, tomorrow I will change the fuse and do a factory reset and new install again. I really hope that was the issue.

I'll keep you posted ;-)
klaasvs31

Post by klaasvs31 »

DaveV wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 16:07 I have the same issue with this doorbell (in NL).

I am totally lost and do not understand why now the Security app tells me there is insufficient power to the bell.

In my setup I use a Byron model 7770 transformer (input 230V - output 8v 1A) and a Grothe LT1171 8v Chime. The chime module is configured as 1 Low

Byron Transformer
So could it be that the 1A transformers are causing many issues in NL (due to not sufficient power), as this is a typical doorbell transformer in our country (NL)..?
david79nl

Post by david79nl »

I am sure they are part of the problem - but it seems to be fixable by using a different chime as well. A lot of people appear to have the same type of chime.
DaveV

Post by DaveV »

Both the transformer as well as the chime are very common in NL, unfortunately.

So what would be a better idea? Buy a 8V 2A transformer?
Something like this: https://www.conrad.nl/p/honeywell-home- ... sert_kz=8J

And then change the chime as mentioned before, because the Grothe chime seems to be pretty sensitive to the power draw of the doorbell.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

The problem is that 8V 1A (apparently the common transformer in NL) is the bare minimum and with long wiring distances, not enough power reaches the Doorbell.
The Chime-Module is designed for this currency and up as well. With less, that „smart resistor“ doesn‘t work properly, causing the chime to ring.
If now people start to switch around in high hopes to get rid of the buzzing, the fuse can be damaged. Same goes for running the module on the wrong setting for a longer period of time. The chime may be quiet on „standby“ but when ringing the Doorbell, the wrong setting causes damage.

Also related to the transformers is the „not enough power“ message in the app.
The Doorbell has an internal battery that gets charged while the Doorbell is not in use and acts as backup when ringing and when the power consumption is higher than the source can compensate, like on live view.
If someone uses live view a lot, the battery reaches low levels quickly and the app reports the message. During the night the IR light also causes more power consumption.
So it might take a while during the day with no interaction to recharge that battery with only 8V 1A.

As said before. since 8V 1A seems to be standard in Nl, lots of people have this issue.
In other countries where for example 12V are the common or 16V, less people will have these problems.

My personal recommendation is to buy a more powerful transformer before buying a new chime. Might solve more than one problem.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
klaasvs31

Post by klaasvs31 »

So what would be the best transformer to use with the Smart Video Doorbell? 8V 2A? Or 12V or even more? And at what amperage?
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Specs say the Doorbell requires „ 8-24 V & 230 V; minimum 8 VA“.
A = VA/V, so 8V with 8VA equals 1A (8/8=1).

I would assure that you get something with 2A. Most common configuration is 12V 2A, I believe.
Also check how many volts your chime can take (label), most work with 8-12V.

So 12V 2A should be a good one to focus in.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
DaveV

Post by DaveV »

I have ordered a 8V 2A transformer (the one I linked in my previous post, but ordered it at Amazon for €14). Will arrive later today.

I decided to order this one, because it is double the power of the current transformer (for the doorbell), but still 8V for the chime (the chime is 5-8V).

So tomorrow I will install it, change the fuse in the chime module, do a factory reset and reinstall.

If this still will give power issues and a ringing chime, I will go for a 12V 2A transformer. If I don’t have power issues anymore, but do have a ringing chime, I will replace the chime. I’ll keep hoping for now and keep you posted if this worked.
Last edited by DaveV on 09 Oct 2020, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
david79nl

Post by david79nl »

Thanks Dave - please let me/us know how this works out!
DaveV

Post by DaveV »

david79nl wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 11:23 Thanks Dave - please let me/us know how this works out!
David, I’ll keep you posted 😉

I really hope this works, because I already changed the transformer before (I had a 8V 0.5A initially and changed it for the 8V 1A transformer) and changed the wiring to be safe (total €20). Now a new transformer again (€14). Luckily I bought the doorbell with a discount code for €274 instead of €299, but the total cost now already ran up to €308. So keeping my fingers crossed I do not need another transformer and maybe a chime. Because if I do need to do that it will bump the total costs with another €40-50 😩

Return to “Electrical Wiring”