How do I connect the Doorbell to my system? - wiring guide

GEORGzer

How do I connect the Doorbell to my system? - wiring guide

Post by GEORGzer »

To get a better understanding on how the Netatmo Doorbell gets integrated into an existing doorbell setup, let‘s take a look on how doorbells work in general:

A standard doorbell setup includes a push-button and a chime that are wired in a simple electrical „loop“. When the push-button gets pressed it closes the electrical loop, allowing electricity to flow and powering the chime.

High-Voltage System.gif
High-Voltage System.gif (209.42 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

There are „high-voltage“ and „low-voltage“ systems, both run on alternating current (AC) and basically work the same way. In a low-voltage system, a transformer is hooked up to the electrical grid and converts the 230v (or 120v in the U.S.) to a lower voltage, usually between 8 and 24 volts.
Low-Voltage System.gif
Low-Voltage System.gif (200.53 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

Sometimes you can find „hybrid systems“ when a new low-voltage chime got wired to an existing high-voltage system.
Hybrid System.gif
Hybrid System.gif (199.97 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

The „Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell“ includes 2 devices, the main unit (referred as the Netatmo Doorbell) and the Chime-Module.

To wire the „Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell“ to your existing system, you have to replace the push-button by the Netatmo Doorbell and wire the Chime-Module to the existing chime.

The Chime-Module can be described as a „smart resistor“.
It allows the neutral signal to bypass the chime, providing the Netatmo Doorbell with both needed phases.

The Chime-Module‘s wires have to be added to the chime‘s two contacts, polarity is not important.

Chime-Module hook-up.jpeg
Chime-Module hook-up.jpeg (6.32 MiB) Viewed 3005 times
Chime-Module hook-up close-up.jpeg
Chime-Module hook-up close-up.jpeg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 3005 times

In a hybrid system, the Chime-Module has to be wired to the transformer that is powering the chime.
Wiring the Chime-Module „in line“ to the existing chime, or leaving the chime out all together is not correct and can lead to hardware damage.

There are two switches on the Chime-Module, labeled „1 - 2“ and „low - high“.

Chime-Module Switches.jpeg
Chime-Module Switches.jpeg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 3005 times

During the setup process you will have to set the two Chime-Module switches according to manual, depending on your existing system (high- or low-voltage).
The Doorbell‘s LED will indicate the correct setting.

• Setting "1 - Low" is for low-voltage systems, between 10.5VAC and 24VAC.
    The inside resistor is about 5ohm.
  • Setting "2 - Low" is for very low-voltage systems, between 8VAC and 10.5VAC (LED color purple).
    The inside resistor is about 1ohm.
  • Settings "1 - High" and "2 - High" are identical and for high-voltage systems with 230VAC (LED color blue).
    The inside resistor is about 1kohm.

Important note:
If you renewer your installation like switching from a low-voltage to a high-voltage chime, don't forget to perform a factory reset of the Doorbell.
During the setup process (active IR LED), the Doorbell evaluates how much current it can draw from your setup. This step is only done at first installation or after a factory reset.
If you rewire without performing a factory reset, the Doorbell will still use previous power settings.

When the Doorbell button gets pressed, the Chime-Module gets cut off, the Netatmo Doorbell switches to its internal battery and passes the live wire on to the chime for it to ring.
It will do so until the button gets released or for the set amount of seconds. The time-limit can be changed in the settings from 1 up to 5 seconds.

Netatmo High-Voltage System.gif
Netatmo High-Voltage System.gif (310.55 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Netatmo Low-Voltage System.gif
Netatmo Low-Voltage System.gif (313.31 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Netatmo Hybrid System.gif
Netatmo Hybrid System.gif (310.49 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

After releasing the button, the Doorbell can be immediately used again.
And again. And again until someone answers the door ;)

General wiring questions can be post in this dedicated topic.

Happy wiring!

Side note: I'm not a Netatmo employe, I'm more like a freelance forum janitor who likes helping people with wiring stuff...

Return to “Electrical Wiring”