Honeywell D3230 chime broken after installing smart video doorbell

TOBH21

Honeywell D3230 chime broken after installing smart video doorbell

Post by TOBH21 »

Hi,
I installed the NETATMO smart video doorbell yesterday.
It worked fine yesterday, but this morning it is not responding.
It appears that my original doorbell chime, a Honeywell D3230, is now broken and that there is no longer any power going to the Smart Doorbell.

The facts so far:
-The Honeywell D3230 was working fine before I added the Netatmo Smart Doorbell components
-I wired the chime module to terminals 1 and 3, i.e. same terminals as the low voltage wiring for the doorbell button
-The chime module was set to 1-Low and left like this as no glowing blue or purple was observed during the set-up phase
-The doorbell set-up went fine and all functions including the chime was working when I completed the installation yesterday
-This morning there were no LED indicating light on the smart doorbell and there were no sound from the D3230 when pushing the smart doorbell button
- When opening the cover on the D3230 chime, disconnecting the chime module and the wiring to the doorbell button, and then manually bridging terminal 1 and 3 there is no longer any response from the D3230 chime
- I have checked the 230VAC power to the D3230 and it is live so the fault must be within the D3230 chime

I need some guidance to the way forward:
- I would like get a new D3230 as it has an integrated power supply which suit the electrical wiring in my house. I see that it is on your list of compatible chimes, but is this correct?
- Did I wire the chime module wrong? If so how should I wire it if I replace the D3230 with a new one?
- Are the Netamo components likely to be damaged too - do I need a new doorbell unit or chime module?

I am looking forward to a quick response.

Best regards,
TOBH21
GEORGzer

Re: Honeywell D3230 chime broken after installing smart video doorbell

Post by GEORGzer »

Chances are high that nothing really broke and only the fuse in either the Chime-Module or the Doorbell blew.

I believe you indeed wired something wrong.
The Honeywell D3230 is a 230V Chime with a build in 8V transformer, so a so called 4-wire chime.
4-wire chimes can be installed with a workaround, however since this one runs on 230V, you won't be able to rewire those to the Doorbell, because the wire-diameter going to the Doorbell won't allow it.

You would have to dismantle that chime to separate the build-in transformer from the chime to get the wiring in between.
But then that transformer only is 8V 1A and many people have power issues because this is the absolute minimum 8VA, the Doorbell requires. And depending on the wiring, not all of that will reach the Doorbell.

If you like that chime then there similar low-voltage versions that require an external transformer. If you get one of those and a transformer which supports at least 8V at 2A, you could wire that up as described in the guide I linked above.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
TOBH21

Post by TOBH21 »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Its pretty certain that the D3230 is broken internally as I have tested it standalone.
Unfortunately, it does not have a fuse that can be replaced.
The fuse in the Netatmo smart video doorbell is not blown.
The Netatmo chime-module does not appear to have a fuse - is there any way to confirm that it is undamaged?

As to correct wiring, I have now found some advice on the Netamo helpcenter webpages which might apply to this type of doorbell chime: https://helpcenter.netatmo.com/en-us/sm ... ime-module
See "Chime with an internal transformer"
It seems that the NETAMO chime module should be connected to the D3230 with one lead to only one of the low voltage wire terminals and with the other lead to an empty output terminal.
The D3230 does have such a terminal.
I'll try to check this with NETAMO before attempting to wire up a replacement D3230.

I had no warning message about power issues while the D3230 was working so I assume it is compatible.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

You're correct, that document from the Helpcenter should apply in your case as well. They know about how those chimes are wired internally.

As for the fuse, the Chime-Module has one, however this one isn't meant to be easy user access-able, since it should not get damaged under normal circumstances.

However, if the chime is ok and the Doorbell's fuse is ok but it still is not working, this might be the reason.
In that case you either give it a try to open um the Chime-Module or you contact Netatmo Support through the Helpcenter.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
TOBH21

Post by TOBH21 »

OK, its seems it might be worthwile to try another D3230 but with correct wiring of the Netatmo chime-module this time.
Many thanks for the info about the fuse inside the Netamo chime-module itself.
I'll check that if I can't get the new D3230 to work.
TOBH21

Post by TOBH21 »

Just to report back on my case:
- I replaced the broken D3230 chime with a new chime of the same type
- I connected the NETATMO Chime-module between terminal 3 and the unmarked terminal to the upper left this time as per the NETAMO help centers general instructions for "chime with internal transformer" (see enclosed picture of the D3230 internals)
- The wires to the doorbell button were connected to terminals 1 and 3 as per Honeywell's instructions (I have approx 15m of 0.75mm2 bell-wire)
- The rest of the NETATMO smart video doorbell went smooth as per the instructions
- There were no signs of any damage to the NETATMO components due to the earlier mistaken wiring
- Everything has been working well for 3 days now
- Just a tip: The NETAMO chime-module fits perfectly in to the space below the terminal block of the D3230 and can therefore be hidden within the D3230
IMG_2086.jpg
IMG_2086.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 946 times

Return to “Electrical Wiring”