Digital gong with battery working ?

mdillmann

Digital gong with battery working ?

Post by mdillmann »

Hi,
I'm about to re-do my install to be compatible with the doorbell (more powerful transformer and new digital gong, a Grothe Chroma 230a).

Can I use wiring "B", where batteries power the chime (for melody until the end) and the transformer only triggers ?
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-17 um 09.25.03.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-17 um 09.25.03.png (62.98 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Will that allow the doorbell to draw enough power or do I need to treat the gong as 4-wire and wire it to Georgs schema ?

Thanks,
-Markus
GEORGzer

Re: Digital gong with battery working ?

Post by GEORGzer »

The problem is that the Doorbell needs to be wired „in-line“ with the chime and the power supply, so it can draw current (N trough the Chime with Chime-Module).
These „4-wire“ chimes have dedicated push-button contacts that don‘t carry the „full“ currency. So not L and N, only L on one contact and the other one „receives“ that current when the button gets pushed.

So that‘s why you can‘t hook up the Doorbell to just those trigger contacts and you need to wire it to the power supply of the chime.
The only work around for that is a relay.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
mdillmann

Post by mdillmann »

Thanks Georg,
I'll go with the relay approach (forum did not allow to search for "relais" or "relay" so I did not see your post about using a (high voltage) relay). But the setup is now clear to me. Now I need to order a relay and the doorbell is laying on the table and whispering "install me ...". Well, one more week of delay.

Thanks for your posts and drawings you create, really helpful.

-Markus
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

You‘re welcome. Just keep in mind to order the type of relay that fits your installation, regarding the voltage.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “Electrical Wiring”