Doorbell not working

snipah

Doorbell not working

Post by snipah »

Hi everybody!

Received my doorbell yesterday and did the installation. Transformer is set to 8V and 2A and when measuring at the doorbell I measure a voltage of 11,42 Volts. Chime module is connected correctly and set to 1/ low. Doorbell starts with a blinking green light and then LED turns RED. Same happens with setting 2/ low on the chime module.

When operated on USB, the doorbell works just fine and has been reset after each change.
IMG_2140.jpg
IMG_2140.jpg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
IMG_2139.jpg
IMG_2139.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
snipah

Re: Doorbell not working

Post by snipah »

More details regarding my setup:

Two wires are running from the transformer: one goes to the chime, one to the doorbell.
The two black lines are attached to the transformer, while the red ones are connected with a WAGO-connector.

I do not see the problem with my setup, but it does not work! When I connect the doorbell-wires with chime rings... why does the doorbell not work?

* I assume that everything is correctly wired!
* Transformer is 8V 2 A
* Doorbell works via USB
* Voltage "arriving" at the doorbell is high enough.
* Chime works when doorbell-wires are connected
* Doorbell was reset several times

When connected, the doorbell LED blinks green and then turns red! Also tried 12 Volts and the the doorbell blinks green, shortly blinks red and then blinks green again!

When connected to a 8V1A-transformer, the doorbell-LED blinks purple... when setting 1/low and 2/low.
Verschiedenes.jpg
Verschiedenes.jpg (117.11 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
snipah

Post by snipah »

Tested a third transformer which is able to go up to 24v and it worked.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

That’s odd, could the other transformer be defective?

Did you do full usb-resets on the Doorbell every time you switched voltage?
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
snipah

Post by snipah »

GEORGzer wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 18:51 That’s odd, could the other transformer be defective?

Did you do full usb-resets on the Doorbell every time you switched voltage?
Yes, did full resets after each change. What is odd in your opinion? Everything seems quiet logical in hindsight:
1. transformer 1: 8V1A LED flashes pink, transformer too weak.
2. transformer 2: 8V2A LED turned red after blinking green (THIS RESULT SEEMED STRANGE)
3. transformer 3: 12V1,5A some kind of boot loop... blinked green, one red blink, back to blinking green and so on...
4. transformer 3: 24V0,75A workes, but obviously disconnects from time to time... we'll see how this evolves over time.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

I was referring to the second transformer (called it first by mistake) with 8V 2A configuration and all the red blinks.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell

Not a Netatmo employee
snipah

Post by snipah »

8V2A also does not work with the third transformer. Must be due to my in-house-wiring. Only 24Volts works but without any problems: Doorbell is continuously keeping the connection and does not go into energy-saving mode! Or could it be that my Doorbell is defective? I do not see any reason to believe so.

Chimebox is set to 1/low. Would you agree that I do not need to change/ try anything as long as the doorbell is working properly?
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Hard to diagnose, but if it works....
Never change a running system ;)

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “Electrical Wiring”