Home Pod only chime install with off-the-shelf components

peter_oxford

Home Pod only chime install with off-the-shelf components

Post by peter_oxford »

I've been battling with this install for close to a week and think I might have finally found a way to make it work which I though might help others.
My initial mistake was to try it without a chime which obviously got me thorough a couple of fuses, into this forum and to Amazon to purchase a chime. I don't want the chime to ring but get the notifications through my Home Pods. The cheapest supported old school chime I could find was a Honeywell D792 which works ok off my Byron 7770 8V 1.0A transformer. Converting the chime to be silent was easy as well as the metal pin which rings the bell can be removed easily from the coil.
I've managed to get through the install without blowing the fuse and everything has been running ok now for half a day. Only issue was that the install process gave me a warning for a wiring problem with little detail of what exactly could be wrong so I suspect the transformer might need swapping for a stronger one which I'll do in case I get any issues, I doubt that the modified bell will mind running off 12V.

Parts:
Honeywell D792
Byron 7770 8V 1.0A
Netatmo Video Doorbell v82

Wiring:
wiring.jpeg
wiring.jpeg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Modified bell:
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 713 times

Return to “Electrical Wiring”