Netatmo base will not connect after Mesh upgrade

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Weather Stations for the first time.
OysteinH

Netatmo base will not connect after Mesh upgrade

Post by OysteinH »

Netatmo base station - Smart home wether station, hardware v2, firmware 177.

Previous setup:
One single Wifi AP at home with both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz active with the same SSID and using "smart connect" function to force clients to 5 Ghz if possible.
This setup worked like a charm for several years.

New setup - Wifi Mesh network with 3 APs, both 2.4 and 5 Ghz active with same SSID
Does not work. After some debugging it looks like the will not connect at all if both 2.4 and 5 Ghz are available with same SSID where it is located.

But why did it work before with previous setup? 2.4 and 5 Ghz were available, with same SSID, back then. And the Netatmo has not changed location.

Is this a problem related to hardware v2 or the firmware? Does hardware v3 support 5 Ghz?
OysteinH

Re: Netatmo base will not connect after Mesh upgrade

Post by OysteinH »

No response in the forum but the problem has somehow corrected itself but I have another question.

I did some debugging and tried one more time to connect the base station to wifi and I disabled all 5 Ghz wifi services. After doing so, the base station connected to the 2.4 GHz network, sent a DHCP request and got an IP address, connected to Internet and everything worked.

The next day, I disconnected the base station (removed power USB plug), enabled 5 Ghz wifi and reconnected the base station to power. I was surprised to see that the base station connected to the network (2.4 Ghz) but it did not send a DHCP request but it used the one it got the day before. It is still connected to the 2.4 Ghz wifi and still uses the old IP address which it newer renews. So I excluded the IP address from the DHCP scope in my router and tried to restart the base station several times. It still works and uses the IP address it received from the router several days ago. The only drawback is that the Netatmo base station does not reply to PING (ICMP) requests nor does it shows up in the routers ARP table but it works. The DHCP client does not behave according to spec (RFC) because it should not use an IP address received from a DHCP server after time-valid-period which was 86400 seconds (24 hours). But it does.

Strange things. Does the Netatmo base station reply to PING under normal "configuration" ?
OysteinH

Post by OysteinH »

One more update to all before I close this thread. I found out that base station v2 hardware goes online when it transmits its information, approx every 10th min. During this phase I can ping the station 3 times before it goes offline again.
Base station v3 hardware (and v4 I guess) is online, and can be ping´ed continuously.

Hope this information can be useful to other people if (or when) they have the same problems as I had.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

V3 and V4 will keep constant connection because of the Homekit integration.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “Setting up my Weather Station”