Reconnection issues after wifi network power down

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Weather Stations for the first time.
pcm

Reconnection issues after wifi network power down

Post by pcm »

Hi,

Overnight my wifi network is powered down for several hours. Reconnection of the Indoor module the next morning is consistently problematic.

I have found the following procedure works, but I am wondering if there a better solution.

1. Power off / power on the indoor module and wait for 10 - 15 minutes.
2. If that fails, plug the module into a computer via USB and rerun the wizard. When the wizard is checking the existing network network connection, the following is sometimes displayed:
"A Wi-Fi configuration has been detected on your Weather Station. However, it seems not to be working. This setup wizard is going to overwrite it."

After this message, I have to select a wifi network again and re-enter the password.

EDIT - Firmware details: Station: 85, Outdoor: 36

Thanks,
Peter
pcm

Re: Reconnection issues after wifi network power down

Post by pcm »

Seems to be happening regularly now when the network connection is lost. Each time the setup wizard must be run and the following message is displayed:

"A Wi-Fi configuration has been detected on your Weather Station. However, it seems not to be working. This setup wizard is going to overwrite it."

Does the station require a permanently on WiFi network? Or could the module be faulty?

Is there any way to diagnose network issues from the user side?
Florent

Post by Florent »

Hello pcm,

Can you please indicate the serial number or the MAC address of your station?

Thank you for your patience and sorry for this issue.
Florent - Netatmo
pcm

Post by pcm »

Hi Florent,

Serial number is NWS01-PA.

Thanks.
Florent

Post by Florent »

pcm wrote:Hi Florent,

Serial number is NWS01-PA.

Thanks.
Hi,

I'm afraid this is not the serial number of the station. Serial number is located at the bottom on the indoor module and starts with the letter 'g'.
You can also indicate the MAC address of the station, instead of the serial number; you can find the MAC address in the settings part of the Netatmo application, in the "My stations" section.

Regards,
Florent
pcm

Post by pcm »

This must be it: g00c2f8 or the serial number from the app: h00fb5a.

Interestingly, there are no numbers at all on the module. The 'g' ID is affixed to the box.
portenawak

Post by portenawak »

Bonjour
J'ai et le même problème. J'ai éteint ma freebox pendant plusieurs semaines.
Quand je l'ai rallumée ma station n'a pas retrouvé le wifi même après débranchement et rebranchement. J'ai du utiliser l'outil de configuration qui m'a dit que ma station était déjà configurée.
pcm

Post by pcm »

Its been reconnecting ok now for the past few days. Is there a way to view any base module connectivity diagnostics?
EJG

Post by EJG »

pcm wrote:Its been reconnecting ok now for the past few days. Is there a way to view any base module connectivity diagnostics?
That would indeeed be interesting.

My wireless network is active 24/7, but the station seems to loose connection several times a week. At least, there is no recent data on the iPhone app and no recent data on the web app for hours, I assume this means it lost network connection . If I disconnect the indoor station from power and reconnect it, after 30-90 minutes it will send data again. Sometimes I have to disconnect/connect from power twice.

If I don't do anything it will eventually reconnect by itself, but that can take 12 or even 24 hours. Suddenly all data appears on all apps, including the data that was collected during the "connection lost period".
pcm

Post by pcm »

EJG wrote: My wireless network is active 24/7, but the station seems to loose connection several times a week. At least, there is no recent data on the iPhone app and no recent data on the web app for hours, I assume this means it lost network connection . If I disconnect the indoor station from power and reconnect it, after 30-90 minutes it will send data again. Sometimes I have to disconnect/connect from power twice.

If I don't do anything it will eventually reconnect by itself, but that can take 12 or even 24 hours. Suddenly all data appears on all apps, including the data that was collected during the "connection lost period".
The network issues can be really frustrating. Are Netatmo using a custom network protocol? It just seems very flaky. Its a pity because it detracts significantly from the potential of the device. Networking deserves its own set of FAQ entries I think.

Return to “Setting up my Weather Station”