Protecting outside weather station

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Weather Stations for the first time.
Tonky

Re: Protecting outside weather station

Post by Tonky » 26 Jan 2014, 22:33

LufometikusA380 wrote:Yes it does!! :D
Thank you so much for your quick reply! (And for posting the radiation shield idea in the first place, of course)
You're welcome :-)

biondi

Post by biondi » 27 Jan 2014, 09:14

Hi LuftikusA380, I'd be interested in hearing how your humidity results differ now you have this, please post :)

LuftikusA380

Post by LuftikusA380 » 27 Jan 2014, 12:22

Hi biondi, I will!
It might take some time though, as I won't be able to assemble the radiation shield before the upcoming weekend.
I already have some kind of protection for my outdoor module, I put it in a bird feeding device, but am not totally satisfied with this solution. It is well protected from humidity, but temperature measurement is not a 100% accurate, compared to modules in my neighborhood. Humidity readings are within 1-2%, though... I guess the problem concerning the temperature is the lacking ventilation.

I'll keep you updated!

biondi

Post by biondi » 27 Jan 2014, 13:49

Also, on the subject of humidity. How fast does yours update to humidity changes in the environment? Mine is inside at the moment as I'm doing some comparisons and it can take an absolute age to get to the roughly accurate humidity levels (~12 hours or so).

LuftikusA380

Post by LuftikusA380 » 27 Jan 2014, 17:24

Well, the outside module seems to update and behave "normally", in comparison to what my neighbor's does. The readings are pretty identical for any given time of the day, I checked that.

I do not have a reference for my two indoor modules. For about a year, I had them placed in the same (rather large) room, and the readings were the same within a small error margin (the modules were separated by at least 10m or so). A couple of weeks ago, I moved one module to another room and now the values differ, but not by much. As said, I do not have another reference for comparison, but I'd say the modules work within spec margins.

I'll attach three pics of today's humidity readings from my modules.
Note: The sharp drops of the curve of Indoor 2 are due to aeration of the room, the effect is less noticeable with Indoor 1 (other location). So I guess the modules respond to changes in humidity pretty quickly, yes.
Attachments
Indoor 2.jpg
Indoor 2
Indoor 2.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Indoor 1.jpg
Indoor 1
Indoor 1.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 520 times
Outdoor.jpg
Outdoor
Outdoor.jpg (18.58 KiB) Viewed 520 times

biondi

Post by biondi » 28 Jan 2014, 11:22

Thanks, it will certainly be interesting to see after you have the unit in the radiation shield also. I may get one at some point so will be interested how you get on.

harcan

Post by harcan » 31 Jan 2014, 00:37

well great! now my outdoor unit seem to report like 8% too low humidity after i put the unit in a Davis radiation shield.....crap... :evil:
will keep my eye on it this week.....though it's been already 2 days in it's new home..... :cry:

biondi

Post by biondi » 31 Jan 2014, 11:46

Hi Harcan, where abouts are you and what is the reading?

I do wonder about just saving up a few more hundred pounds and getting a Davis weather station. More expensive but it works!

harcan

Post by harcan » 31 Jan 2014, 13:40

biondi wrote:Hi Harcan, where abouts are you and what is the reading?

I do wonder about just saving up a few more hundred pounds and getting a Davis weather station. More expensive but it works!
hi!
i'm in northern Sweden :)
the reading is closing in on humidity reported at airport here...so i'll wait little more to see if it gets the same.. :)
we had like 85% mostly all week...and my module reported like 76-80%....but today it climbed up to 87%.. :)
cheers!/H

LuftikusA380

Post by LuftikusA380 » 04 Feb 2014, 15:40

Hi guys,

I was able to assemble and mount the Davis radiation shield last weekend and must say that the outdoor module fits perfectly in there. Due to my "living situation" I do not meet all the requirements concerning the best location for the radiation shield, but at least it is well ventilated.
Now, my readings... I was pretty happy when comparing them to my neighbor's last weekend, as the temperature was bang on most of the time and only differed by 0.1 - 0.2 degrees at other times. Given the accuracy of the module, I'd say that there is nothing to complain about. The same goes for the humidity readings, they were within 1-2% all the time.
Things changed yesterday, and are true today as well: My impression is that my readings lag behind. Not by much, but today there was a steady increase in temperature within a short period of time, and my module was off by 1.2 degrees (worst case, max. deviation). I am not sure if it is the module itself, or due to the fact that it is enclosed in the radiation shield (I don't know where my neighbor put his). Similar behavior with the humidity, of course! Max. difference was 7-8%.
Another phenomenon I observed: The min. and max. values differ, too, depending on how fast the weather changes and in which "direction". I might miss the real min. and max. temperature, if it drops/rises fast enough after reaching the max./min. value.

As I do not check and compare my values constantly, I guess I can accept these deviations - given the fact that I definitely need some kind of protection for my outdoor module (which is a shame in the first place!).

Below, you'll find two screenshots describing what I mean.
Attachments
Station in the vicinity.jpg
Station in the vicinity.jpg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Mine.jpg
Mine.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Return to “Setting up my Weather Station”