Protecting outside weather station

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Weather Stations for the first time.
DocBeech

Re: Protecting outside weather station

Post by DocBeech »

I have fixed the accuracy issue, by ditching the aluminum housing, mounting the device inside of a heavy bush, on the side of the property that receives no sunlight. You need to get this device away from your house, as you get radiation heating and cooling. The device itself has survived over a month of heavy storms, rains, and sever weather. With no issues. In dramatic weather changes (more than 30 degrees or 60% humidity) it now catches up in about two cycles or 20 mins to the davis unit. In not so dramatic situations its keeping on par about 1% humidity, and .8 degrees F. Sometimes I will see a 3% humidity gap but its very rare, and I live on a lake so it could be a true reading of difference.
kosmocos

Post by kosmocos »

I also took away the aluminium housing and mount the naked outside module into some weather protection shield. The temperature and humidity changes much faster now.
Attachments
prot.gif
prot.gif (13.56 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Kydix

Post by Kydix »

Simply put mine here and no problem :

But we do some renovation so i put them here until the end of the work . :D Still 0 problem

thermoink

Post by thermoink »

Any confirmation about the fact that the new outdoor module is weatherproof?
daverdfw

Post by daverdfw »

I installed mine in a Davis Solar Shield. I took the Netatmo outside of the housing and tie-wrapped it inside the Davis.
richardcb

Post by richardcb »

Hi, brand new Netatmo user here. Just received my weather station and, like many, wondering how weatherproof my outside module is. I don't have anywhere sheltered to mount it as yet but have put it in a relatively safe place. I note from some of the posts here that new units are supposed to be more weatherproof than older ones. Is that the case and if so will my module survive the few showers that are forecast for today? Any advice would be appreciated.
JanMetDePet

Post by JanMetDePet »

It seems like Netatmo has done its best to make it rain-resistant (same method as with the raingauge: packing the electronic compartiment).

Netatmo does not tell anything about this, so I am afraid they don't believe in their own construction and want their costumors to take the test at their expences: sad.
Tonky

Post by Tonky »

Hi Richard,

Personally I would never put it out in the open.
Not only for rain protection but also for sun.

I don’t know what you call a “safe place” but usually it’s close to home, (read a warm wall) so not a good idea too.
richardcb

Post by richardcb »

Tonky wrote:Hi Richard,

Personally I would never put it out in the open.
Not only for rain protection but also for sun.

I don’t know what you call a “safe place” but usually it’s close to home, (read a warm wall) so not a good idea too.
Understood but I don't have much choice atm, until I can set up something more permanent. I have it fixed to a drainpipe and away from the house wall. Can you recommend some alternative ways of placing/protecting the module?

Many thanks.
richardcb

Post by richardcb »

JanMetDePet wrote:It seems like Netatmo has done its best to make it rain-resistant (same method as with the raingauge: packing the electronic compartiment).

Netatmo does not tell anything about this, so I am afraid they don't believe in their own construction and want their costumors to take the test at their expences: sad.
Thanks, JanMetDePet. Sounds like a familiar story. :)

Return to “Setting up my Weather Station”