Protecting outside weather station

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Weather Stations for the first time.
Flupke

Re: Protecting outside weather station

Post by Flupke »

At this moment, the outside censor is mounted at my garden house, but it's made from wood, so on a Sunny day, it will heat up. except that place I hadn't have a place in sunlicht but not direct and covered from the sun.

When I will buy a davis weather mount, explained in the treath here, can I mount it in the sun directly, without any faulty reading?

Regards,
P
Tonky

Post by Tonky »

Yes if you have enough air flow, so you also need to have wind where you mount it.
DocBeech

Post by DocBeech »

The new modules are much better, and weather proof. As long as they don't get direct sunlight, they are good to go. Mines been sitting outside during a week of off and on heavy storms, and it reads decently accurate. Also without the metal housing its much quicker to responds. It still has some issues of pin pointing quickly (slows down once its about 3 degrees to the real temp) but once it levels off its about .8deg higher than the davis. and about 3% off on humidity. But as long as its not getting direct sunlight, the new module can be left out in the rain.
Rd. Vortex

Post by Rd. Vortex »

Regarding the Davis 7714 radiation shield: can it be mounted on a horizontal pipe instead of vertical? The manual only seems to illustrate installation on vertical pipe. I need some method of protecting my weather station from direct sunlight and rain. Currently it's mounted inside a plastic tube attached to balcony guardrail, this however doesn't work well on direct sunlight. At about noon sun shines for about 1-2h on the station causing some funny temperature readings.

Can the Davis pipe mounts be attached in such orientation that it'll stay on horizontal pipe?
Tonky

Post by Tonky »

No, only vertical...
Rd. Vortex

Post by Rd. Vortex »

Tonky wrote:No, only vertical...
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Does anyone know of any other good radiation radiation shields that can be mounted on horizontal pipe? If not I guess I'll just have to install a vertical pole to mount the Davis shield on.
Tonky

Post by Tonky »

I took a closer look at it and you can mount it horizontally if you drill two extra holes in the metal bracket. :)
Rd. Vortex

Post by Rd. Vortex »

Tonky wrote:I took a closer look at it and you can mount it horizontally if you drill two extra holes in the metal bracket. :)
Ok. Any idea though what the material on the bracket is? Wouldn't want it to rust away due to drilling extra holes. :lol:
Tonky

Post by Tonky »

No it's painted steel, but I don't know what kind...
biondi

Post by biondi »

Ok, well after making a radiation shield out of flower-pot bases and painting them white, I saw an improvement in my humidity results. However it still isn't ideal so I've now opted for the Davis radiation shield, hoping that will finally give me the accuracy that most other people seem to get.

Return to “Setting up my Weather Station”