Rain gauge calibration

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Weather Stations for the first time.
WinterMan

Rain gauge calibration

Post by WinterMan »

Does the rain gauge need to be calibrated ? I have read the calibration instructions and they are not entirely clear. Has anyone done this ? If anyone has I would appreciate seeing the values you used in your calibration calculation.

Water volume / bucket tips = x

Where x is the value entered into the calibration field.
JBaguley

Re: Rain gauge calibration

Post by JBaguley »

Hi,

Just calibrated mine today.

Did 4 separate loads, which were pretty consistent.

I got 1.72 - from 600ml/349tips. (the 600 ml was in 4 separate pourings.)
ChmGolf

Post by ChmGolf »

I calibrated mine the following way: I poured 200 mL water in and then adjusted the calibration factor in the web menu until the reading in the web interface showed 16,3.
Trinomad

Post by Trinomad »

Definatelly you have to calibrate.

I got 1.87 with 200ml (107 tips). I have done it a couple of times as correct counting and listening requires obviously some training, as I started with 128 tips with 200ml, but assumed to have made mistakes. Now the result is also in line with the old, 5€ plastic device.

I dont understand why this calibration is required, I assume the bucket is always the same? Or do they use different types - would be senseless. Also I wonder why they use 1.26 as the start calibration when this is obviouly totally incorrect.
ChmGolf

Post by ChmGolf »

You don't have to count the tips. If you pour in 200 mL of water the reading in the web interface must be 16.3 mm/h. Adjust the calibration value accordingly if your reading differs.
fabio

Post by fabio »

why 16.3mm?
ChmGolf

Post by ChmGolf »

The relevant diameter of the rain gauge is about 12.5 cm which corresponds to an area of 122.72 cm2. 200 mL equals 200 cm3. This volume per area yields 200 cm3 / 122.72 cm2 = 1.63 cm, which is 16.3 mm.
Guido

Post by Guido »

Hallo ich habe seit kurzer den Regenmesser meine frage dazu muss man ihn kalibrieren oder ist die Werkseinsteilung n icht ausreichend?
Gruß Guido
Pixelman

Post by Pixelman »

@Guido
Ich würde dir die Kalibrierung empfehlen, da die meisten Benutzer einen stark vom Standardwert abweichenden Faktor einstellen müssen.
hg1978

Post by hg1978 »

Was ich nur nicht so ganz verstehe ist, das ich nachdem ich den Messer woanders hingestellt habe nochmals kalibrieren muss??? Warum? Die Tips ändern sich doch dann nicht?

Generell habe ich ein schlechtes Gefühk mit der Kalibrierung. Ich habe einen Wert von 1,72 mit 200ml Wasser. Wie schnell oder langsam muss ich das einfüllen? Die Schnelligkeit hat doch auch bestimmt einen Einfluss oder?

Wir hatten vor kurzem einen starken Regenschutt und mir wurde 15,6mm /H angezeigt. Andere Stationen hatten aber teilw. sehr viel weniger als ich...

BTW Ist Euch aufgefallen, dass auf der Startseite der App die Regemmenge anders Dargestellt weir als in der Graphischen Auswertung. In der Graph Auswertung wird die Regenmenge nach genauer Stunde aufgeteilt (zb 16-17 Uhr) auf der Hauptseite der App wird jedoch Regenmenge/h vom Regenanfang zb 16:20 bis 17:15 Uhr angezeigt. Dies kann dann mehr Regen sein pro Stunde als in der Graphik angezeigt wird.

Return to “Setting up my Weather Station”