Optimum placement for single thermostat?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
jko

Optimum placement for single thermostat?

Post by jko » 10 Jan 2019, 18:19

Looking to tap in to the collective wisdom again, thanks.
My thermostat has now been going about a week and it has decided it now has an optimised PID.
The only thing is, the heating now comes on very early. In other words, it allows a long 'warm up' time.
I think this is because I didn't have a particularly sensible initial configuration.
I simply replaced my hallway thermostat with the Netatmo one. The hallway is served by two radiators, both with 'dumb' TRVs (like every other radiator in the house). I didn't think to adjust these and I suspect the TRVs were cutting out before the hallway reached temperature, effectively fooling the thermostat into thinking it needed long warm up times.
I also noticed that the lounge was cooler than it might have been (again, probably because the wrong room was being monitored).
So, I have moved the thermostat into the lounge as that's where I want the comfortable temperature to be set.
I take it the sensible thing is to wind up the TRVs in that room so that the thermostat is doing the work of regulating temperature?
How do I force the thermostat to re-learn the heating characteristics of this new configuration?
Or does it constantly adapt anyway and will eventually re-learn the new characteristics?
Advice and thoughts welcome.
Thanks,
John

Michael0610

Re: Optimum placement for single thermostat?

Post by Michael0610 » 10 Jan 2019, 18:27

"Or does it constantly adapt anyway and will eventually re-learn the new characteristics?"

Yes it is learning all the time. Correct me if i'am wrong.

jko

Re: Optimum placement for single thermostat?

Post by jko » 10 Jan 2019, 23:38

Thank you. I'll keep it in auto-adapt mode and see how it fares.

Return to “General questions”