Away mode for HomeKit

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
ChuckstarUK

Away mode for HomeKit

Post by ChuckstarUK » 08 May 2019, 11:33

Please could you consider adding the capability to set the Thermostat’s “Away Mode” in HomeKit, so that it can be included in Scenes. Currently you can only set the heating on and off and set the temperature.

rodcaine

Re: Away mode for HomeKit

Post by rodcaine » 31 Aug 2019, 16:32

I second this. It’s annoying not to have automatic frost protection when it would be so easy to implement

box

Post by box » 04 Dec 2019, 12:15

Digging up an old post... as the Netatmo app doesn't natively support geofencing, utilising Homekit for this would be really useful and (I'm assuming) straightforward to implement in a better way.
Ignoring manual boosts, the only other setting the Netatmo system can recieive from Homekit is on or off. It would be great if in the Netatmo app there was a setting to change what happens when an off/on command is received from Homekit. E.g. have a menu to choose from Thermostat Off, Away, or Frost Protection modes. This way with location based automations when everyone leaves the house, Homekit sets the heating to 'Off', which is interpreted by Netatmo system as Away mode, and resumes normal schedule when Homekit says 'on' again when someone arrives home.
Sounds like an easy way to get this implemented?

568ml

Post by 568ml » 06 Dec 2019, 12:37

This would be great, but one problem is that (as far as I'm aware) HomeKit doesn't have a notion of turning the thermostat 'on' — you have to set it to an explicit temperature. What would be ideal is for a simple 'on' command that would be interpreted by the Netatmo app as 'resume schedule'.

box

Post by box » 16 Dec 2019, 13:56

If you go into the thermostat temperature dial in the Home app, there should be an orange circle below it. This is the togge button, in the case of the thermostat between off and on. I believe there is also protocol for cooling, heating, off and on depending on what you're controlling.

cchbrown@me.com

Post by cchbrown@me.com » 27 Jan 2020, 16:55

I've been posting about this in other categories on this forum, I believe it was first mentioned as far back as 2017!

Yes, for me the thermostat integration with Homekit has been useless apart from glancing at temperatures when swiping between rooms.

A big issue has been location based automation, countless times the house has been heated with no body at home because I forgot to open the Netatmo app to set away mode and the schedule has kicked in. 'Off' is useless to me, with cats and plants I want to maintain a base temperature while I'm away.

Please Netatmo, we've had so few features (none significant that i can think of) added last year; make this simple change which would open up a huge amount of functionality for us!

box

Post by box » 27 Jan 2020, 17:03

I've since found a workaround using Homebridge (running on a raspberry pi) and IFTTT. Setting up a couple of dummy switches which control Away mode, and in my case a schedule change based on who is at home, via IFTTT, which are triggered when people arrive or leave.
Setting up homebridge takes a bit of work and knowledge of Linux, but there are plenty of tutorials. Of course this is besides the point - if it was integrated it would take the product up a notch.

Ursus_Hu

Post by Ursus_Hu » 28 Apr 2020, 12:16

As far as I know HomeKit is the problem it can handle only on or off, no away mode currently implemented for heating.

Ekristoffe

Post by Ekristoffe » 29 Apr 2020, 17:19

Hello all,
I played with node-red for some days and I found it suplement netatmo and homekit integration.
We can do some nice stuff inside like adding a homekit switch for away or not and using it to select if we do the rest or not.
I don't have any thermostat here but I don't think it can be that hard.

box

Post by box » 29 Apr 2020, 18:52

Ursus_Hu wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 12:16
As far as I know HomeKit is the problem it can handle only on or off, no away mode currently implemented for heating.
Yes, but the Netatmo app just needs to have Away mode in their system connected to the On/Off status in Home. It should be fairly straight forward.

Return to “General questions”