Netatmo and fireplace problems

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Meky

Netatmo and fireplace problems

Post by Meky » 17 Nov 2019, 10:44

Hi hope you can help. Netatmo official support is not helping at all.

I have independent fireplace in my living room which I use most of the winter together with my gas boiler. Basically gas keeps minimum temperature while I'm at work and fireplace while I'm home.

Living room has one radiator equiped by netatmo valve.

Problem is when I start the fire place, netatmo's valve temperature is not taken correctly which leads to me having both gas boiler na fireplace running at once.

Two things are happening:
1) Real room temperature goes up to 24°C but valve shows only ~22°C.
2) If I setup true temperature to match reality while fireplace is up, I later have high temperature when fireplace is cold. Example - showing 23°C bit reality is ~20°C.

No matter how many tries I do in setup, it always ends the same way. It was quite hard to set it up somehow last winter and this one it repeats itself.
If I don't use fireplace, it works quite welll and temperature is corre t.

Do, what should I do? I don't think I'm only one in the world having this issue.

Thanks, Miro

568ml

Re: Netatmo and fireplace problems

Post by 568ml » 18 Nov 2019, 12:08

I have a very similar problem. I have a wood stove in my living room which I use only when it's less than approx. 5°C outside. I also have a Netatmo valve on the single radiator (which is less than a metre from the wood stove) in the room.

The valve is usually set to 19°C, and it does a fairly good job of maintaining that temperature. However, when I light the wood stove, even after hours, when it is definitely many degrees warmer than 19°C, the Netatmo valve still displays 19°C, and will occasionally open if other rooms in the house with Netatmo valves demand heat.

kozmix

Post by kozmix » 18 Nov 2019, 14:55

Maybe a stupid comment, but could it be that your fireplace heat doesn't properly "circulate" through the room? If you place a thermometer next to it, does it show a higher temperature than what the valve shows?
Weather Station v3 + Additional Indoor Module + Rain Gauge
Thermostat + 4 valves

568ml

Post by 568ml » 18 Nov 2019, 16:25

kozmix wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 14:55
Maybe a stupid comment, but could it be that your fireplace heat doesn't properly "circulate" through the room? If you place a thermometer next to it, does it show a higher temperature than what the valve shows?
Thanks for your reply kozmix, it's not stupid at all. The radiator + Netatmo valve are pretty close to the wood stove, but now I think about it they are also next to a doorway, so I'll definitely try your suggestion of measuring the temperature with a separate thermometer.

It'll take me a few days at least to track down and order a reliable room thermometer on Amazon, and to then conduct the measurements, but I'll report back with any findings once I've done so.

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 18 Nov 2019, 16:41

From my experience, the famous algorithm easily gets confused by external heating sources.
I live in a penthouse with big windows and if the sun heats up the place in the winter, it is common that the readings go bonkers....
Home:Weather Station (V3 + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules), Valves Starter Pack + 5 additional Valves, Smart Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smart Smoke Alarm

Not a Netatmo employee

Meky

Post by Meky » 18 Nov 2019, 16:58

I did measurement exactly in the place of valve and it is not very different from rest of the room, so the circulation works well for me.
It feels to me the system is just ignoring high temperature changes while heating is off.
In past there was option to setup true temperature differently by setting it while having both hot nad cold radiators. It worked well. After they changed it to current status it sucks.

kozmix

Post by kozmix » 19 Nov 2019, 09:19

@Meky, another question for you as I was having some further thoughts around your situation. Is the Netatmo valve on your radiator the only device in your living room? Is it also configured in your Netatmo settings that it's in a room by itself? I have noticed in my living room (which has a thermostat and two valves) that while the temperature can differ between one side and the other (sometimes >1°C due to large windows), the valves on both sides show the same common temperature.

If you have another valve in another room, have you already tried swapping the valves (you can easily reconfigure a valve to move to a different room? Just in case there is a technical problem with the sensor in your living room valve.
Thermostat + 4 valves

Meky

Post by Meky » 19 Nov 2019, 21:02

Hi @kozmix, let me answer you your questions:
Is the Netatmo valve on your radiator the only device in your living room?
Yes it is.
Is it also configured in your Netatmo settings that it's in a room by itself?
Yes it is.
If you have another valve in another room, have you already tried swapping the valves (you can easily reconfigure a valve to move to a different room? Just in case there is a technical problem with the sensor in your living room valve.
I did not try to swap with another room. I did try to do factory reset though.
I can try to do the swap, but it will require some time and work. Not sure if the result will be worth as it would probably confuse the whole system taking one out without total reconfigurration. Here is my setup:

Living room - one Netatmo valve (+ fire place)
Bedroom - two Netatmo valves
Bathroom - Netatmo Thermostat

I would have to just take both valves from Bedroom and place them somewhere in the living room while starting the fireplace to see if they will behave the same. Is that correct idea?

kozmix

Post by kozmix » 19 Nov 2019, 21:07

Hi @Meky,
That sounds like an interesting test as well, though I was just thinking about swapping one of your bedroom valves with the living room one.
I did meanwhile notice the following thread though, maybe it could be related: https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=17448 It seems that some valves suddenly start reporting wrong temperatures.
Thermostat + 4 valves

Meky

Post by Meky » 19 Nov 2019, 21:18

Above mentioned doesn't seem to be the problem, but thanks for pointing that to me.
I will try to to move the valves from other room first day I will start up the fire place. We'll see what will be the result :)

Return to “General questions”