Thermostat/relay 2nd gen, differences?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Glowtape

Thermostat/relay 2nd gen, differences?

Post by Glowtape » 21 Jan 2020, 13:00

The e-Ink display on my thermostat is pretty busted after all those years, so I figure I get a new Netatmo kit. Now I'm curious, is there anything new to the 2nd gen kits, other than the upgraded relay? The thermostat itself is it different, like more accurate/faster?

GEORGzer

Re: Thermostat/relay 2nd gen, differences?

Post by GEORGzer » 21 Jan 2020, 13:39

The main difference is Homekit compatibility and the option to connect 20 additional valves instead of 5 or whatever it was.

Electrical components get more sophisticated all the time but that starts way down the production line of their suppliers.
So even when it's not mentioned anywhere, you can be sure that the gen. 2 is more advanced than the gen. 1.
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (2nd Generation)
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

Glowtape

Post by Glowtape » 22 Jan 2020, 20:51

Welp, guess what just died. I hope Amazon is delivering fast.

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 22 Jan 2020, 21:47

My condolences.
But if it's just the display, operating the Thermostat through the app still should be possible until the replacement arrives.

Btw. I can confirm from experience that the mounting plates of the Thermostats are 1:1 identical and therefore the old one can be left in place.
If you have the Relais wired to your boiler with the cable, I'd recommend to switch out the cable as well.
We had a case here not long ago where someone just tried out a gen. 2 Relais on a gen. 1 cable and for some reason it didn't work properly.
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (2nd Generation)
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

Glowtape

Post by Glowtape » 22 Jan 2020, 22:54

Seems the thermostat itself that broke. A battery change didn't do anything. Something must have been up and coming, since the radio signal quality dropped from 5 to 2-3 bars recently, which I considered weird already. It's five years old already, so eh.

Glowtape

Post by Glowtape » 26 Jan 2020, 14:21

Installed the new stuff. The thermostat has a bit of a different internal mechanical construction from the old one, judging how the seesaw mechanism for the button functionality changed. And the e-Ink display seems to be of a different type. Hope that one lasts longer now, too. The relay is obviously different, with Homekit and such.

Return to “General questions”