Thermostat read out...

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
oxy

Thermostat read out...

Post by oxy » 03 Feb 2020, 19:08

when you have a Netatmo Thermostat connected to a gas boiler, is it possible to raise and lower
central heating temperature?

And would it be possible to read the forward and return temperature of central heating system?

I know this is not possible now, but can this data be read out through the current connection?

- Oxy

GEORGzer

Re: Thermostat read out...

Post by GEORGzer » 03 Feb 2020, 19:49

Topic moved to correct forum

Not sure what you mean with „central heating temperature“, but yes you can raise and lower the temperature using the thermostat or the app.

However, it is not possible to send or receive any type of data to or from the boiler, since the Netatmo Thermostat is an „analog - dry contact“ system.
This also won‘t be available in a future firmware update, since the current hardware simply doesn‘t support it.

Should your current thermostat provide these features, you may check your boiler‘s manual if it actually supports analog thermostats or only digital ones (BUS system).
If you can‘t find an answer, you can post your boiler‘s credentials in the „attaching the thermostat to the boiler“ forum and I‘ll have a look ;)
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (2nd Generation)
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

oxy

Post by oxy » 03 Feb 2020, 20:49

I was just thinking about whether it was possible to do a "weather compensation" (don't know the English for that).

When you have a netatmo boiler relay and an netatmo outdoor module, you could have them "talk" together, so you set the boiler to 50 degrees at 10 degrees outside, when the temperature rises outside by 4 degrees, then netatmo lowers central heat temperature to 44 degrees on the boiler, but if the temperature has dropped outside, then it increases the central heating by 6 degrees to 56 degrees.

does it make sense?

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 03 Feb 2020, 21:09

I understand what you want to accomplish, a live-weather-based heating schedule.
You could use IFTTT to do a work around, both the Thermostat and the Weather Station are compatible with the protocol.
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)

Office:
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

schmaker

Post by schmaker » 07 Apr 2020, 18:00

@GEORGzer - i guess you misunderstood the question.

@oxy - If i understand you correctly, you are trying to achieve boiler modulation, that most boilers do with external temperature module and their own thermostat. Netatmo thermostat however isnt really able to tell boiler how much heat is needed, as there is only "stupid" 1/0 relay. There are different ways to communicate with boiler (im not an expert, but just out of my head i know 3 - opentherm, voltage-based and PWM). Maybe netatmo could provide "compatibility module" for this.

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 07 Apr 2020, 19:05

No, I got it ;)
The topic creator wants to adjust the boiler temperature (not the room temperature) using the Netatmo Thermostat and the Outdoor Sensor of the Weather Station.
But as you said yourself, the Thermostat can’t do that and it’s only a dry-contact „switch“.

I was just trying to give an idea how it could be established to do dynamic temperature control based on the outside temperature using the Netatmo Thermostat, at least to a certain point with IFTTT recipes like:

IF outside temperature is ≤10° THEN set Thermostat to 50°
IF outside temperature is ≤15° THEN set Thermostat to 44°
and so on.

But usually it is the boiler itself that provides the "dynamic temperature" function with its own outdoor sensor and not the room-thermostat.
You know, one regulating the boiler temperature and one the room temperature, two totally different things.
If a boiler-brand room thermostat has settings for this feature then it is just like a remote control panel for the boiler.
Home:

Office:
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

Return to “General questions”