Problem with thermostat and heads.

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
sergeantd83

Re: Problem with thermostat and heads.

Post by sergeantd83 »

I believe that Netatmo logic is 1 thermostat/relay per zone.
e.g. 3 floors = 3 zones. 1 zone for every floor.
But as I assume your home has one zone for all three floors, so inevitably the hot water will flow to all of your radiators. Please correct me if I am wrong.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

The „problem“ is that the system is designed around a single central hub (Relais). We internally discussed before that the possibility to add a Starter-Pack and extend the radio range through a house by simply adding that other Relais would solve a lot of people‘s issues.
But Netatmo clarified that the whole software would need to be rebuild from the ground up for that to work.

It would work from a technical standpoint if you have 3 floors in a house and every floor is configured as a dedicated „home“ with a Thermostat and Valves and all the Relais‘ black/grey wires are connected in parallel to the boiler.
That way ever „home“ could request heat. However, as mentioned before the Valves won‘t close if that „home“ is not „active“ and therefore this won‘t work after all.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
nethome

Post by nethome »

sergeantd83 wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 23:46 I believe that Netatmo logic is 1 thermostat/relay per zone.
e.g. 3 floors = 3 zones. 1 zone for every floor.
But as I assume your home has one zone for all three floors, so inevitably the hot water will flow to all of your radiators. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes it is one zone heated by one boiler.
One zone but I wanted to limit heating on the second and third floors when the whole family sits on the first floor all day.
nethome

Post by nethome »

GEORGzer wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 09:41 The „problem“ is that the system is designed around a single central hub (Relais). We internally discussed before that the possibility to add a Starter-Pack and extend the radio range through a house by simply adding that other Relais would solve a lot of people‘s issues.
But Netatmo clarified that the whole software would need to be rebuild from the ground up for that to work.

It would work from a technical standpoint if you have 3 floors in a house and every floor is configured as a dedicated „home“ with a Thermostat and Valves and all the Relais‘ black/grey wires are connected in parallel to the boiler.
That way ever „home“ could request heat. However, as mentioned before the Valves won‘t close if that „home“ is not „active“ and therefore this won‘t work after all.
I've already thought about bringing a cable connection from the thermostat on the third floor to the boiler but that won't work properly either.
So for now it stays with:
One thermostat connected to the boiler on floor one where the family sits. The temperature reference is the thermostat + schedule
The second and third floors are a set of valves and a relay controlled by a schedule.
Maybe when the relay from the thermostat does not lose its range from the valves on the second floor, then the pack controller will be only on the third floor.
sergeantd83

Post by sergeantd83 »

Nethome I have a few questions:

1) If you place the relay of your main Thermostat at the second floor do all your 12 valves and the main Thermostat able to connect to it?

2) Can you hardwire the thermostat with the boiler at first floor?
nethome

Post by nethome »

sergeantd83 wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 13:36 Nethome I have a few questions:

1) If you place the relay of your main Thermostat at the second floor do all your 12 valves and the main Thermostat able to connect to it?

2) Can you hardwire the thermostat with the boiler at first floor?
1) I assume that's how they will be in the range.

2) On the first floor yes.
But if it were to be relay on the second floor, I would have to lay cables.
nethome

Post by nethome »

As I wrote earlier my premise was to control the temperature on the valves with an LCD thermostat in several rooms in house but this not work.
I didn't think it through and bought thermostats in a hurry :roll:
whnagel

Post by whnagel »

Hello nethome
I solved the problem with an so called „or Gatter“.
I installed a box with a „or Relais/Gatter“ with a control LED just besides the boiler and 2 output wires are connected to the circulation pump (to switch the pump on and off like one Netatmo thermostat should do). All thermostats are connected as an input for the „or Relais“. If any thermostat in my 3 flats needs heat the „or Relais“ turns the circulation pump on and the Control led is on. If no thermostat needs heat the circulation pump is off.
I have 3 flats (homes in Netatmo Language) and 1 boiler with one thermostat in each flat and several valves in each flat installed. In rooms with a thermostat and valves i installed the valves virtually in a seperate room, but set the scheduled temp setting 1 degree less than the valve. All thermostats are set to comfort priority and the minimal heat time is set to 2 minutes because I control only the circulation pump with each Netatmo device.
FYI: the boiler is outside temperature controlled and has the original outside tempsensor and the circulation pump is only connected/controlled to the „or Gatter“ and not from/to the boiler.
If any thermostat or any valve needs heat the circulation pump is on. Only if no device needs heat the pump is off.
If any room without Netatmo valve needs heat I have to turn the Netatmo thermostat higher.
I also included IFTTT to switch all Netatmo devices to frost guard setting if the outside temp is over 18 degrees and switch back to scheduled Settings if outside temp goes below 14 degrees
I hope this can help in your environment.
Cristi_XP

Post by Cristi_XP »

Will this issue be fixed? I am having the same issue, where the valve is too close to the radiator and True Temp doesn't not work very good. I have put the thermostat in the same room, and the setpoint for the room at 23 degrees. After that, the valve is not closing and the temp goes also to 24+ degrees, because it is a pellet burner and it takes some time till the water cools. In another home, were I have 3 radiators, 3 valves and thermostat in the same room, I do not feel them warm when other radiators in the house are warm, so in this case, why are the valves closed, because it is the same setup... isn't this being addressed by netatmo, as from my point of view, it seems to be an issue... when the thermostat is off, valves should be also closed... you can leave a radiator without a valve to have circulation.
Cristi_XP

Post by Cristi_XP »

I think I have solved the issue with Homeassistant. It seems that if valves with the thermostat are still on when the thermostat shuts off, the valves still remain open as Netatmo thinks that you have valves on all your radiators and doesn't want to close the last radiator while the water is still hot.

The ideea with putting on 7 degree that room and putting it back on, doesn't work as it will still not close the valve, but what it is working, when something like this happens, create an automation that will start the heat for 1 min in another room, and then it will close the one with thermostat and valves. Netatmo should really address this issue, as in my case, the temp goes beyond the setpoint of 23 degrees... to a 24.5 sometime... so not ok.

Also, the True temp issue needs to be addressed, as on some valves it is not working after 1 day...

Return to “General questions”