PID algorithm

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
remcat2

PID algorithm

Post by remcat2 » 29 Oct 2014, 22:31

As I understand, after about two weeks the thermostat should switch automatically to the PID algorithm.
However, after about three months my thermostat still uses the hysteresis algorithm. In the settingsmenu it says anticipation has been activated, but the characteristics of the house haven not yet been calculated.
As a result is now first gets to cold and then to warm.

Any suggestions?

fduval_netatmo

Re: PID algorithm

Post by fduval_netatmo » 29 Oct 2014, 22:46

Hi remcat2,

can you post your serial number? We will track to give you some information.
Fabien - Netatmo team

remcat2

Post by remcat2 » 30 Oct 2014, 14:39

The serialnummer is j04111a

fduval_netatmo

Post by fduval_netatmo » 30 Oct 2014, 17:52

Well, it seems that the anticipation has been activated today with the normal process.

We need to wait that your thermostat has enought "heating data" before computing your house parameters.
Fabien - Netatmo team

remcat2

Post by remcat2 » 31 Oct 2014, 15:24

Well, if that isn't a coincidence. Must be the threatening gaze of its creators. Anyway, I'm happy. It works perfectly. Instead of the sawtooth graph, the graph of the actual temperature now is almost a flat line. And that's is much offers much more comfort. Thanks for your prompt reaction.

federico.colatore

Post by federico.colatore » 17 Nov 2014, 10:09

Hi,

Same issue there: Installed Netatmo Thermostat on 21 October and is still running with standard algorithm. If i try to set anticipation, the app tells me that the characteristics of the house haven not yet been calculated.

My serial is j0424e0.

Thanks in advance,

FC

Gaby-Netatmo

Post by Gaby-Netatmo » 17 Nov 2014, 12:56

Hi Fererico,
We have managed to compute the PID parameters for your installation manually.
However, before that we propose it to you, we have noticed a small issue.
Yesterday, your thermostat send a Command "Boiler ON" for more than 2 hours. This command lead to a 0.3°C temperature increase.
However afterwards, the temperature increased more than 1 degree even though the thermostat was sending a "Boiler OFF" command.
Usually, temperature overshoots are due to the thermal inertia of the house and the heating system. they are usually taken into account when the PID algorithm is implemented.
However in your case, it seems that you have another heating source that contributes to the temperature increase (the sun?!?).
Hence, can you tell us if your thermostat Netatmo is facing the sun or if you have large windows in the room where the Thermostat is placed?
Thank you in advance.
Gaby-Netatmo

federico.colatore

Post by federico.colatore » 18 Nov 2014, 10:30

Gaby-Netatmo wrote:Hi Fererico,
We have managed to compute the PID parameters for your installation manually.
However, before that we propose it to you, we have noticed a small issue.
Yesterday, your thermostat send a Command "Boiler ON" for more than 2 hours. This command lead to a 0.3°C temperature increase.
However afterwards, the temperature increased more than 1 degree even though the thermostat was sending a "Boiler OFF" command.
Usually, temperature overshoots are due to the thermal inertia of the house and the heating system. they are usually taken into account when the PID algorithm is implemented.
However in your case, it seems that you have another heating source that contributes to the temperature increase (the sun?!?).
Hence, can you tell us if your thermostat Netatmo is facing the sun or if you have large windows in the room where the Thermostat is placed?
Thank you in advance.
Gaby-Netatmo
Hi Gaby and thank you for your fast feedback.
I have checked today on netatmo app if the PID was on, and i still see "the characteristics of the house haven not yet been calculated etc..". What i must see if the PID is activated?

Anyway, concerning to the temperature overshoot of 16/11 (boiler on from 8am to 10am), i have notice this behavior in the past and i suppose that is the underfloor heating source's inertia: usually when the thermostat switch on the boiler, leaves it on for about 2 hours. After that the temperature spike up 1 grade or more. The underfloor heating is the unique heating source in the house and the netatmo thermostat is on a corridor, away from windows or other heating sources.

Thank you again for the hints!

Gaby-Netatmo

Post by Gaby-Netatmo » 18 Nov 2014, 17:54

Hi frederico,
We have proposed the PID algorithm on your Thermostat Netatmo today.
You can activate it!
Gaby-Netatmo

Torsc

Post by Torsc » 22 Nov 2014, 11:43

Hi,

my serial is j0628e8

after 2 weeks learning nothing changed here. I dont see " characteristics of the house have not yet been calculated." in the settingsmenu but there is also no switch to turn PID on or off. can you tell me whats wrong?

update:
problem solved... now I can change to PID in the settings. Coincidence? If not, thanks for the fast help.

Return to “General questions”