PID algorithm

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
wonderiuy

Re: PID algorithm

Post by wonderiuy » 24 Nov 2014, 17:27

I have NetAtmo thermostat since 4 days and entering my account i was already prompted to activate Anticipation algorithm. Is this correct? Have you already calculated my house thermal inertia?
Should i revert back to Istheresis mode?

Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo » 24 Nov 2014, 17:50

Hello,
Computation time for the PID algorithm has been reduced, this is not a bug :-)
Brieuc - Netatmo Team

wonderiuy

Post by wonderiuy » 24 Nov 2014, 23:29

Very very nice. Is this algorithm updating its behaviour day by day? Now its not winter and thermal inertia is not always the same

Edit: today i noticed the first effects of Anticipation algorithm. It simply moved my scheduling. Is this correct?

toniginot

Post by toniginot » 26 Nov 2014, 11:01

federico.colatore wrote:
Hi Gaby and thank you for your fast feedback.
I have checked today on netatmo app if the PID was on, and i still see "the characteristics of the house haven not yet been calculated etc..". What i must see if the PID is activated?

Anyway, concerning to the temperature overshoot of 16/11 (boiler on from 8am to 10am), i have notice this behavior in the past and i suppose that is the underfloor heating source's inertia: usually when the thermostat switch on the boiler, leaves it on for about 2 hours. After that the temperature spike up 1 grade or more. The underfloor heating is the unique heating source in the house and the netatmo thermostat is on a corridor, away from windows or other heating sources.

Thank you again for the hints!

Good Morning ,

First they tell you that your product looks excellent in my opinion.

I have the same case as Federico . My heating is underfloor and I have a very large inertia. Approximately two hours after the boiler lighting is when the temperature begins to rise and this continues to rise two hours after it turns off. Therefore it is very important to a good PID control for our types of heating.

I installed the thermostat 4 days ago so I think I still have to wait a bit for the PID algorithm is active.

My question is : Does the system for calculating the automatic PID is prepared for underfloor heating ? or Do you have to specifically request a custom configuration ?

In underfloor heating the outside temperature is very important to anticipate changes in temperature. Do you use the external temperature for the PID ?

Does the PID be recalculated over time? I ask because this week is making an abnormally hot weather and the PID can be calculated initially will be wrong.

Note : Sorry for my English. I had to use a translator because English is not my native language.

Thanks in advance.

Gaby-Netatmo

Post by Gaby-Netatmo » 26 Nov 2014, 11:39

Hi toniginot,
- If you have underfloor heating, you can use the advanced algorithm of the Netatmo Thermostat (PID) when it is proposed to you. However, we recommend the users of this type of heating system to not activate this algorithm.
- External temperature is taken into account when calculating the house characteristics and is considered when anticipating the heating periods: the prediction option. This option should be proposed to you in the next few days/weeks.
- The house characteristics are updated each 2 weeks.
Thank you.
Gaby-Netatmo

toniginot

Post by toniginot » 26 Nov 2014, 12:45

Gaby-Netatmo wrote:Hi toniginot,
- If you have underfloor heating, you can use the advanced algorithm of the Netatmo Thermostat (PID) when it is proposed to you. However, we recommend the users of this type of heating system to not activate this algorithm.
- External temperature is taken into account when calculating the house characteristics and is considered when anticipating the heating periods: the prediction option. This option should be proposed to you in the next few days/weeks.
- The house characteristics are updated each 2 weeks.
Thank you.
Gaby-Netatmo
Thanks for responding so quickly.

3 days ago I activated the option of prediction. Now the system is anticipating 30 minutes because there is insufficient data .

When this is already running in a few days ... question: This option will start the boiler before? Is this option will stop the boiler before?

If the latter is not. So be a good choice all day keeping the same temperature (20 C ) and activate the PID ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

Gaby-Netatmo

Post by Gaby-Netatmo » 26 Nov 2014, 13:55

The prediction option is only activated to start the boiler to reach a higher temperature.
I advise you to:
- keep the hysteresis algorithm for it is more convenient to your heating system.
- Activate the prediction option when it would be proposed.
- Reduce the comfort periods in your planning: When the temperature would reach the desired temperature, the inertia of your heating system would be sufficient to stabilize the temperature.

On the other hand, can you provide me with the serial number of your thermostat for a better analysis.
Thank you in advance.
Gaby-Netatmo

toniginot

Post by toniginot » 26 Nov 2014, 15:49

Gaby-Netatmo wrote:The prediction option is only activated to start the boiler to reach a higher temperature.
I advise you to:
- keep the hysteresis algorithm for it is more convenient to your heating system.
- Activate the prediction option when it would be proposed.
- Reduce the comfort periods in your planning: When the temperature would reach the desired temperature, the inertia of your heating system would be sufficient to stabilize the temperature.

On the other hand, can you provide me with the serial number of your thermostat for a better analysis.
Thank you in advance.
Gaby-Netatmo

Very good suggestions. Thanks again.

serial: J062938. But surely we would have to wait a few days of operation to better analyze the data. This week the weather is abnormally hot.

Thank you in advance

wonderiuy

Post by wonderiuy » 26 Nov 2014, 16:03

From what i'm reading here the anticipation algorithm is different from the PID algorithm. Am i wrong? Are they two separate things?

Gaby-Netatmo

Post by Gaby-Netatmo » 26 Nov 2014, 16:20

Hi wonderjuy,
The Thermostat Netatmo has two regulation algorithm: the hystéresis and the advanced algorithm commonly called PID.
The prediction option is a new feature of the thermostat that estimates the time required to reach the requested temperature and starts heating accordingly.
This optioncan can be used with both regulation algorithms.
For more details about the regulation algorithms and the anticipation option, you can check the FAQ of your Netatmo thermostat.

Thanks.
Gaby-Netatmo

Return to “General questions”