FEATURE REQUEST:Outdoor temperature also displayed on grafic

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Hubi

Re: FEATURE REQUEST:Outdoor temperature also displayed on gr

Post by Hubi »

Hello everybody,
I can't confirm the fact that the devices select the same IP adress themselve, but the outside temperature was available in the thermostats app and website after the initial setup with standard DHCP configuration. First I thought that it was up to the user account. But then I attached the thermostat at its destination at my parents home and configured it to their network. (<200m away - so the outside temperature should be the same ;) )
I think the current situation is a bit unlucky and seems to require more knowledge than necessary. Of course my idea, the link between the weatherstation and the thermostat would be established through the user account was wrong. Because then you wouldn't be able to get correct data if you use more than one thermostats and weatherstations in different locations.
But why am I not be able to manually select the devices which belong together? It could/should be possible to choose the right weatherstation and assign it to one or more thermostats. Perhaps it might also be possible to choose the nearest station, which doesn't need to be within the same user account.
However it would be great to get the outside temperature displayed to everyone, even if there is no weatherstation in the surrounding area.

I am just thinking if it may be possible to get the needed local connection over the VPN connection between the two networks.
TypeC

Post by TypeC »

Thanks Hubi, that seems to suggest that no complicated manual IP assignment is necessary at least in the standard case and DHCP can be left to do its thing. Your experience also suggests what I understood Brieuc to be saying in the other thread, that WAN IP is the important one.

Perhaps there is something in Mendip's more complicated set-up that caused the devices a problem.
mendip

Post by mendip »

Hi Hubi / TypeC,

Hubi, Thank you very much for confirming that simple DHCP worked for you. On that basis a router to router VPN connection should work for you, assuming you forward all traffic requests from one LAN to the other.

TypeC,

Yes it is pointing towards merely the forward facing WAN being the important factor, which as we both agree makes more sense and will work in 99% of cases. I will place the two devices on their very own LAN soon and log everything from Layer 2 to 7, and then analyze and revert back, but I suspect all will be as expected. In fact I might just break my own rule tonight:
'if it ain't broke - don't fix it'
and simply place them in DHCP mode later..... :D

Once again many thanks to both.

Mendip.
Dr.Fix

Post by Dr.Fix »

It would be very nice to have external temperature data even WITHOUT weather station.

Since thermostat calculation involves using external temperature data taken from the internet wheater services, netatmo ALREADY HAS that data.
Why not showing it?
TypeC

Post by TypeC »

Dr.Fix wrote:Since thermostat calculation involves using external temperature data taken from the internet wheater services, netatmo ALREADY HAS that data.
Why not showing it?
Then why would you need to buy a Weather Station? ;)
Dr.Fix

Post by Dr.Fix »

In fact I've always wondered why someone should buy a weather station since the same data could be found for free on the internet...
biondi

Post by biondi »

Dr. Fix, if you could point me towards where I can find somewhere on the internet that I can find my indoor temperatures and humidity levels I'd be really interested :)
Dr.Fix

Post by Dr.Fix »

biondi wrote:Dr. Fix, if you could point me towards where I can find somewhere on the internet that I can find my indoor temperatures and humidity levels I'd be really interested :)
Can you read the title of the thread? We're talking about OUTDOOR temperature.
vittoge

Post by vittoge »

Coming back to the post's topic...
It would be really cool to read ext temp on the graphs (for users using weather forecast...)!
And it could also help to better understand and set the boiler for extra savings!
Does netatmo really think to sell more weather stations selling thermostats without this enabled feature???
gertr1

Post by gertr1 »

Please make this outside temperature appear like this.
Not only on the PC, but also on the iphone.
Thx

Return to “General questions”