new user

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
nalbert

new user

Post by nalbert »

Finally i bought my Netatmo themrostat and now it's in operation form sun 25/1/15.
i have the follwoing request for Netatmo people:
1- i understood that the PID algortim will be avialble in few days (new fetaure) but i do not see yet any PID option in my themostat advaced settings.
My S/N is J06F966 can you kindly check if there is any problem?

2- i noticed that when i change temperature setting with the thermostat's buttons the e-ink screen becomes blank for 1-2 seconds and then everything it's fine. No malfunction detected during this short period. I read some other 3d on the forum, is that a preludium of fault?

thanks in advance

BR
gblades

Re: new user

Post by gblades »

There are two additional functions which become available over time. The first is 'prediction' where if turned on it will look at the house temperature, outside temperature and its learnt house thermal characteristics and turn on the heating in advance so that the temperature reaches the set temperature by the time you have specified. This option appears first and on my thermostat this took about 4 days. Until this option is available you wont see any mention of it in the advanced settings so what you are seeing is perfectly normal. When the option becomes available the next time to run the app you will get a notice saying the new feature is available.
The second option is 'PID' which takes a couple of weeks until it is available and this turns on the boiler for a shorter amount of time and helps reduce the overshoots when maintaining a stable temperature.

The flashing of the eink display is perfectly normal and is a characteristic of eink. If the thermostat was to just clear the display then it would leave behind a slight ghost image. The Amazon Kindle eink reader does the same although it does flash the screen a lot quicker so it is not quite as noticeable.
Thermostat serial: j066806
(j063456 returned to Amazon as faulty)
nalbert

Post by nalbert »

anticpation option was avilable since begininng, instead PID option no.
At the beginning there was 2 weeks period to get the PID activted, but now Netatmo improved this option and it should take only few days, at least i red it in another 3d forma Netatmo person. Is that right?
TypeC

Post by TypeC »

nalbert wrote:At the beginning there was 2 weeks period to get the PID activted, but now Netatmo improved this option and it should take only few days, at least i red it in another 3d forma Netatmo person. Is that right?
I think it can take only a few days. I think it varies with how predictable your particular situation turns out to be. PID became available for me nearly 3 weeks after install (install was a month ago). I don't know whether this was with or without the new speedier PID creation.

As gbaldes said, until each option is enabled, there is nothing to indicate they exist in the settings.
gblades

Post by gblades »

I think a lot of people are not realising prediction and PID are two different things.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3577&p=16513&hilit ... ion#p16513
Gaby-Netatmo wrote:Hi Neir,
Netatmo Thermostat offers two separate features:
The prediction option: It anticipates a heating period in order to reach the set temperature at the requested time. This option is active on your Thermostat.
The advanced regulation algorithm (called PID): takes into consideration the house heating inertia in order to regulate the temperature and reduce the overshoots. This function is NOT yet proposed in your case.
The advanced algorithm will be proposed to you in the upcoming few weeks.
Thank you.
Gaby-Netatmo
nalbert

Post by nalbert »

finally on sunday the PID opstion became available also in my thermostat. First impression is that it's working fine, but i need some days to test it.
I'll keep you updated...
gblades

Post by gblades »

It seems pretty good to me. Today it came on at 15:20 to warm the house up from 12C to 19C by 18:30. It actually reached temperature at 18:15.

Return to “General questions”