A question for Netatmo staff

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
polimedia

A question for Netatmo staff

Post by polimedia »

Hello, first of all let me say that I am very satisfied with my thermostat.
To be picky, let me say that every morning, the anticipation works, but never reaches the desired temperature, missing it for half degree.
It's not a big deal as our heating takes a long time to heat the house (every morning the heating starts 4 hours before, but they are not enough).
Can you please check if PID is already tuned at the best or it could be tuned better? My serial number is: j064f46
Thank you for such a great product.
Attachments
Pid.png
Pid.png (19.62 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
Brieuc_Netatmo

Re: A question for Netatmo staff

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Hello,
I suggest that you increase the hot water temperature of your boiler, if possible, before touching to Prediction parameters.
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
polimedia

Post by polimedia »

Hi the hot water temperature is already set at suggested max (just one dot below the maximum temperature) I am not sure if setting it to the highest temperature is recommandable.
Regarding PID you think it's better not touching it?
Substantially every morning the temperature is at 20 instead of 20,5, no big deal, yet this means that when it will be warmer probably in the morning the temperature of 20.5 will be reached, right?
I can surely live well with this PID setting, usually I am extremely enthusiastic of the thermostat, I only asked if the PID can be adjusted, if you think it's better not to do it, it's fine.
Thanks, Carlo
polimedia

Post by polimedia »

I just checked the boiler water temperature is set to 84° which is quite high, unfortunately this a century old home and heating system is pretty old, so it takes a while to heat up.
Let me know, thanks
wonderiuy

Post by wonderiuy »

As already requested, Netatmo should add options for setting the type od radiator (steel or aluminium) and kind of house material (bricks or concrete or else)
Going over 60° of water temperature is highly unefficient and can surely lead to have limestone in your boiler

@polimedia: i had exactly your behaviuor with PID. Solved this by lowering the differences btw temperature: your boiler/radiator/house cannot handle 4° in 4 hour. Full stop. Take this to 1° maximum delta... you will incredibly save a lot of gas power, because now you have a full 4 hours of gas wasting for getting nothing. Better having 2 hour of gas during the night and wake up with your requested temperature
polimedia

Post by polimedia »

wonderiuy wrote:i had exactly your behaviuor with PID. Solved this by lowering the differences btw temperature: your boiler/radiator/house cannot handle 4° in 4 hour. Full stop.
Unfortunately it's worse it takes 4 hours to increase ONE degree.
wonderiuy wrote: Take this to 1° maximum delta... you will incredibly save a lot of gas power, because now you have a full 4 hours of gas wasting for getting nothing
Do you mean putting 1° here https://db.tt/Z9lOe33R instead of 0° like it is now?
wonderiuy wrote: Better having 2 hour of gas during the night and wake up with your requested temperature
Not sure to follow what you mean here.
wonderiuy

Post by wonderiuy »

polimedia wrote: Unfortunately it's worse it takes 4 hours to increase ONE degree.
OOPS you're right, 1 degree only
polimedia wrote: Do you mean putting 1° here https://db.tt/Z9lOe33R instead of 0° like it is now?
No, i mean, instead of having 16,5° -> 20° cycles, just set a higher lower temperature, like 19° -> 20° -> 19°
polimedia wrote: Not sure to follow what you mean here.
I mean that you will save your money by having little differences btw your setted temperature

Chech this, with PID:
2,5°delta btw day and night
1.jpg
1.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
1° delta btw day and night:
2.jpg
2.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
0,5° delta btw day and night and 0,5° less than before
3.jpg
3.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
So go for 0,5° - 1° delta btw day and night because you will save money
polimedia

Post by polimedia »

OK, I think it's clear now, thanks.
My graphic looks different btw,
1) I don't seem to use heating as much, mainly in the morning
2) I thought temperature went down a lot at night (as I always used 16° as night temperature, but it's not true, I think the real maximum range is 0.5-1° funny.
3) once I had works in the garden and doors were left open in that case, heating from lower temperature was MUCH faster, 4.5° in 2 hours: https://db.tt/DhelegIK

P.S. Are you Italian BTW?
Attachments
Pid2.png
Pid2.png (41.91 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
wonderiuy

Post by wonderiuy »

Yes Polimedia, I'm Italian but this is a english spk'ing forum so let's stay on english :)
I suppose then that you have a brick (mattoni) house or steel (ghisa) radiator which well retain the temperature. Anyway 84° for radiator are really too much
polimedia

Post by polimedia »

Sure English is fine, I was just curious :D
I already lowered the boiler temperature to 70, I think.
Unfortunately I already have one radiator half full of mud to be cleaned in spring. It's near the thermostat and part of the reason why it takes so long to heat.
Yes the house was built in 1928 and it's made of brick with steel radiators.
Basically, thanks to Netatmo, I could see the real temperature floatation in my home, not sure if this can help me in improving things.
What really surprises me is the latency of support with such a connected device, I mean there is no way to contact support apart from posting in this forum and hope for a reply.
I saw Tado has phone, and forms to contact them, which should be a standard.
Anyway, let's hope everything works, and no real support is needed.

Return to “General questions”