Replacement Relay won't connect toWIFI

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Thermostat Wifi connection.
Harryg

Replacement Relay won't connect toWIFI

Post by Harryg »

Hi, hope you can help me..I am trying to install a new replacement Netatmo relay and Thermostat as the old relay was burned due to short circuit on the Boiler Thermostat..
So I replaced the Boiler stat with a similar one and tested it,so it works if the burner is plugged in directly to the mains . Then I revert back to power connection from Netatmo relay..So all wiring and new products are same types as before .

So when I put the new Relay into the boiler adapter plug (I changed that too) and follow the app.instructions the led blinks 5 times then I press the button led blinks for 15 seconds then goes out for 5 seconds then blinks 5 times and I press the NEXT on the app. and the relay goes into POWERING UP MODE..After a few more minutes I get a response on the app..PHONE CANNOT CONNECT TO THE NETWORK RELAY AT THIS TIME....and below it says...PLEASE UNPLUG AND REPLUG YOUR SMART INDOOR AIR QUALITY MONITOR..But I don't have one of these monitors????

Any ideas or suggestions most welcome..Also should I not be prompted for a WIFI Password when trying to connect a new relay??
GEORGzer

Re: Replacement Relay won't connect toWIFI

Post by GEORGzer »

That Air Quality Monitor message is a bug in the app (phrasing).

Are you using iOS or Android?
If on iOS, do you get asked for permission to use your phones wifi?
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
Harryg

Post by Harryg »

Hi Georgzer,Thank for the response ..Im using an Android phone..Ive been at it for most of the afternoon but I reckon the relay is connecting and turning on and off when the Thermostat goes above and below the setpoint as it should ..but when it does turn on it seems theres a Neutral feed going to the boiler whereas I expect a Live ...And my phone app.is still not connecting....Just to reiterate......I had a perfectly working Netatmo before the accident burned the relay and just thought the new Netatmo would be moreor less Plug and Play... :Thanks again
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

You mean the polarity is reversed like „OFF“ = closed contact and „ON“ = open contact?
That can be determined in the settings under:

manage my home - „name“ of your Thermostat - Thermostat - settings - polarity
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell

Not a Netatmo employee
Harryg

Post by Harryg »

Thanks GEORGzer,SO the way my Boiler was always turned on was the output of the RELAY 'S boiler adapter black wire was the live and the neutral was just a loop to the NEUTRAL IN WIRE (So neutral is permanently present in the right terminal)But where I expect to get LIVE (BLACK WIRE) I am reading a Neutral with respect to LIVE IN. So it does look like a wrong setting somewhere..Maybe it thinks the Thermostat is starting the Boiler and not the Relay???

But when I try to :-manage my home - „name“ of your Thermostat - Thermostat - settings - polarity....After manage my home - „name“ of your Thermostat ...as you say above...I don't see any settings option ...Only a Rename Relay or Uninstall Relay ..at the top right and below is just:-
Information which has WIFI Signal...Serial number 70:ee:50:09:e8:b6 ...Firmware 210....Installed valves 0/20
and
Configure WIFI (BUTTON TO SETUPCONNECTION)
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

You‘re in the Relais‘ settings, the Thermostat‘s is the next one below.

498E15BF-EF6A-49D7-92C1-D4CFF8EA3A50.jpeg
498E15BF-EF6A-49D7-92C1-D4CFF8EA3A50.jpeg (32.03 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
If you don‘t see this option then there is something wrong with your setup.
If you only received a replacement Relais then you have to reconnect the Thermostat to it.
Harryg wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 14:27 The way my Boiler was always turned on was the output of the RELAY 'S boiler adapter black wire was the live and the neutral was just a loop to the NEUTRAL IN WIRE (So neutral is permanently present in the right terminal)But where I expect to get LIVE (BLACK WIRE) I am reading a Neutral with respect to LIVE IN. So it does look like a wrong setting somewhere..Maybe it thinks the Thermostat is starting the Boiler and not the Relay???
If connected properly, Thermostat and Relais always switch simultaneously.
I‘m sorry but I can‘t follow what you‘re trying to say about your wiring.
Maybe a photo would help.

Not a Netatmo employee
Harryg

Post by Harryg »

Hi GEORGzer, Sorry for any confusion ,I do have a new Relay ,Thermostat and Boiler adaptor,which is wired as it was originally by the agent several years ago. And the Thermostat can switch on/off the Relay by increasing/decreasing the setpoint. So at least that much is working..But the problem is still that the Relay still cannot switch on the Boiler as it did before..I wonder is the new Netatmo setup now for the Thermosatat to turn on the Boiler,which was never the way my previous setup was?? .

So I have attached a picture of the wiring of the Boiler adaptor...However you suggested I change the polarity from the APP. but as the Relay cant connect online to the APP,due to the bug you mentioned earlier...( Smart indoor air quality meter......).So I think this will not allow me change the Polarity .Should I fix this first .... Is there an update or bug fix for that..

Thanks again./Harry
Attachments
IMG_20201005_110828 (1).jpg
IMG_20201005_110828 (1).jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 2201 times
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Ok first of the online connection should work, has nothing to do with the other thing. Must be a configuration (WIFI) issue.
Second, those exposed L wires on the IN and OUT are a big NO NO, you should change that ASAP.

Last and most important, that can't work ;)
You have to connect the grey wire of the Relais to L-IN (brown wires) and not to the N.
When switching on, all the Relais does is closing the contact between its gray and black wires, like a normal light switch.

The way it is right now, you're feeding your boiler 2 N signals and no L.

Also doesn‘t your boiler have dedicated control terminals?
Tell me brand and model and I look into it or create a new post in the wiring section with those informations.
Would be much better for the device than killing it off completely every time.

Not a Netatmo employee
Harryg

Post by Harryg »

Hi GEORGzer,
I can't believe I made that wiring mistake and apologize for wasting your time.It was a silly mistake and now that I have wired it correctly the boiler is switching on and off according to the Thermostat...as it should...So thanks a million for that. I tidied up the exposed wiring too.

As regards the boiler controls...Basically the way it has worked for a very long time (boiler is an AMANDA more than 25 years old) ,but my burner is a Riello and fairly new.So the power supplied from the Netatmo Relay output goes to my Riello burner first and then either the L or N is switched via the Boiler Thermostat back to the burner to start it up.If that helps or you need more info/photos let me know . I believe this is the way most oil boilers have been configured for many years . I expect if and when I have to replace the boiler it maybe a different setup.

So now I have to see why I can't connect the Relay via the App..Any suggestions about the 'Smart Indoor Air Quality Monitor' answer I get when trying to connect ??.
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Glad it‘s working now.
Most people have one-device gas boilers, that‘s why I asked. In your case, your current setup seems to be the way to go 👍

Regarding the app-issues. I‘m afraid I can‘t reproduce them.
My advice would be to contact Netatmo Support directly through the helpcenter, as they can also check your account 😉

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “Thermostat Network Set-up”