Netatmo Relay keeps disconnecting from servers

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Thermostat Wifi connection.
keithrutter9

Re: Netatmo Relay keeps disconnecting from servers

Post by keithrutter9 »

Hello,
I've looked through this thread and can't see Netatmo support responding to the issue with any advice or suggestions.

I have the same issue. Keeps telling me I am disconnected from the servers - to date I've tried :

1 - removing the thermostat and reconnecting - works for a short period and then same issue.
2 - a new router (don't see how this is the problem as everythign else connects with a good signal) - didnt solve the problem.
3 - setting up the relay using the USB cable - worked for short period and then same issue.
4 - Got a replacement relay and thermostat installed - worked for short period and then same issue.

I've seen a number a posts relating to firmware upgrades - how do I do this?

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
JJDoW

Post by JJDoW »

Hi everyone,

I'm so disappointed since I found this forum and all of you with the same problem!!

I bought a Netatmo like 40 days ago, It worked pretty well for the first 2 or 3 weeks, I was so happy with it that I recommended this thermostat to all my friends, then the problems started to happen, like 3 weeks ago relay started to disconnected too often, then I started to fight with my router, I was thinking maybe the signal was not strong enough, trying restarting the wifi signal, changing wifi channel, and seems to "fix" the problem sometimes (or that is what I believe), then suddenly it begin disconnecting more and more often each time until now, it's not working at all, I'm not at home right now but I will return on Friday, Netatmo app says it got disconnected from their servers, however from time to time temperature gets updated and I can see the graph, but i cannot control anything.

I'm pretty sure Internet and WIFI works because I have a Netatmo Welcome too and they are almost one side by side, one works ok (I can see the live video and hear the noise of the street) and relay 1 meter away can't connect, I struggled trying to send commands, I tried and tried, Netatmo app continue saying its disconnected.

Last night before I went to sleep I tried to heat the house one last time but it says can't connect all the time, then when I wake up today and looks like it worked somehow, the graph show me that temperature its up, the Netatmo app show in its graph it was ON for some time, but I still cannot control anything or see the current status, last update in the graph was like 3 hours ago.

After typing my problem in Google I reach this forum... and this thread, and started to worry a lot, I will do more test when I go back to my house on Friday, but it looks like is the same problem all of you are facing here.

I will update here as soon as I have more info, but I'm going to tell you, I'm not happy right now, I cannot control my Netatmo when I'm not at home and that was the entire purpose of buying it, so when I return house it is properly heated, having to fight with it to work doesn't see the way it should work, right? Ha! Then I also read the Netatmo support is even worse, I have no words right now.
Last edited by JJDoW on 01 Feb 2023, 17:51, edited 2 times in total.
JJDoW

Post by JJDoW »

@Brieuc_Netamo, you sent me a PM but i cannot answer, forum doesn't allow me to.

There is no reply button, then I tried to compose a new message and this show up:
Last edited by JJDoW on 18 Jan 2017, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.
Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

JJDoW wrote:@Brieuc_Netamo, you sent me a PM but i cannot answer, forum doesn't allow me to.

There is no reply button, then I tried to compose a new message and this show up:
Hi,
Indeed you have to post at least 3 messages on the forums to be able to send PM.
Please let me know your ticket reference in this topic :-)
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
JJDoW

Post by JJDoW »

Brieuc_Netatmo wrote:
JJDoW wrote:@Brieuc_Netamo, you sent me a PM but i cannot answer, forum doesn't allow me to.

Hi,
Indeed you have to post at least 3 messages on the forums to be able to send PM.
Please let me know your ticket reference in this topic :-)
Until now I didn't have one, until yesterday I was thinking it was my problem, right now I don't think that anymore so I just open a ticket: YRZ-GGMUB-284
fmarzocca

Post by fmarzocca »

unfortunately this device "sucks". It always disconnects from the wifi with no apparent reason and you will NEVER get a support from NetAtmo people.
My suggestion? Replace it with something more serious
iok

Post by iok »

I installed my new thermostat 5 days ago.
Since the beginning I started experiencing disconnections from the servers and from my home network as described by many people in this forum. I tried contacting Netatmo support two times, but after many days I got no answer, as many other people in this forum.
So, before returning the thermostat to Amazon, I started some tests.

The first thing I noticed is that in the time frames when the program schedule keeps the boiler on the relay was detected as connected to the server, but few minutes (from 5 to 20) after the boiler is stopped the servers and the app started reporting that the relay was disconnected. According to the network devices, the relay did disconnect voluntarily: sniffing network traffic I did not found any evidence of a fault that has caused the disconnection.
Can you confirm a similar behaviour in your cases?

I tried changing access point, switches, router and even internet provider (I'm in Italy with a Telecom Italia ADSL, but I tried even a LTE connection with Wind), but I have always experienced the same behaviour during three days of tests. I guessed some troubles on the servers side, as an overload of the front-end or the back-end, but I started some tests tuning some wifi power saving parameters since I noticed that even the radio connection was missing.
So yesterday morning I changed the wifi channel. I was using channel 4, because I have tested my apartment radio environment and I have found that channel 4 was the best for minimizing interferences and maximizing the signal in every room. Yesterday morning I changed to channel 6. I still cannot believe it, but I can tell you that the relay is now connected since more than 21 hours without any disconnection!
Maybe there was some interference on channel 4, but I don't think so: the relay is at less then 30 cm from the access point and the only other wifi radio in the neighborood works on channel 11, furthermore there are many other devices connected to the same access point that have never experienced problems. What I guess is that the relay wifi hardware can have some problem with some frequencies, or the software has problems when connected to channels different from the "classics" 1-6-11.
Did you tried to change the wifi channel, using channel 1, 6 or 11?

Let me and all the forum know if changing the wifi channels makes some difference so we can understand if the issue is actually related to the wifi component of the relay.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

iok wrote:Did you tried to change the wifi channel, using channel 1, 6 or 11?

Let me and all the forum know if changing the wifi channels makes some difference so we can understand if the issue is actually related to the wifi component of the relay.
Channel 1 doesn't work for me ... if it connects at all, the Ping times get longer and longer until it drops off the network. Reported here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6939 - but obviously no response from netatmo.

I'd not bothered reading any of the other posts when I reported that - I assumed netatmo would spring into action, to fix this strange flaw with their product. It's only when you start reading, that you realise that this sort of problem is some kind of inherent design issue. Maybe they bought a huge quantity of cheap Chinese Wi-Fi modules and they're determined to use them all up?

Send it back to Amazon and buy something else. Whatever you buy will be better! (PS. If you leave a negative review on amazon, someone called "Peter" responds immediately and tells you how everything will be fine ... soon.)
iok

Post by iok »

I have read your post. You have found issues when connecting to channel 1. I had problems with channel 4.
In the past I have experienced similar issues with a Raspberry with some additional DAC modules, caused by internal interferences and/or power supplies or power components. In that case the fix consisted in using some higher channels (but not all the channels worked).
So this could be a very similar case. Some internal (malfunctioning or badly engineered) component generates interferences and the wifi HW cannot work correctly with some channels. In my case channel 6 is working, but maybe not all the higher channels are good. And maybe not all the relay samples are "sensible" to the same wifi channels...
I would like to know if someone else experiencing the same problem can fix it changing the wifi channel.
...And I would like to hear some comment about this from Netatmo...
Likalnik

Post by Likalnik »

Any info nfo about this issue? I also have a problem with covectivity netatmo to wi fi.... I cant use it with netatmo app.

Return to “Thermostat Network Set-up”